Fly Fusion Forums

Decho #5 Or Decho #6 Or Deer Creek #5/6?

DutchDryfly

Posted this on Speypages, but all info is welcomed. :bow:

This spring I ordered my first DH rod. As I am mainly targetting trout and grayling, I chose a Gary Anderson 11'9 #3. I have to say fishing it in Austria and Norway was a blast. I did not touch my SH rods when fishing medium and bigger sized water, all I did was using the DH. :hihi:

Not only did it catch fish, it also looked sooooo cool, that a fishing buddy is now considering buying his first real DH rod. He has practiced with a TFO #7 with extension and he really likes the speycasts.

We did some investigation on the net and we both agreed that a Decho certainly looked nice for targetting bigger trout and grayling on medium rivers.

We would like to use Scandi heads lenghts.

But before deciding anything I would like some advice from this board.

Question 1: As his first DH rod he is considering the Decho #5. From comments on this site, this will be prefect for the rivers and fish he is targetting. Do you agree or should he be looking at the Decho #4?

Question 2: As I already own the Gary Anderson 11'9 #3, would it be better to choose the Decho #6 instead of the Decho #5?

Question 3: Or should we both pick the Deer Creek #5/6 as the gain window is a little larger?

I am a little envious, as you have great shops to try out rods and lines. We do not have such opportunity over here but I really got some good advice on my first DH rod that we are willing to take a chance if you provide us with some feedback.

Rob

I have the Deer Creek, and for what I use it for its great - makes a good nymphing rod with the delta spey, and would probably be good for skating dries around, though I didn't get to do too much of that this year. People on the sp board say they do have different types of actions - the DC is probably a bit softer and you may want something a bit faster for scandi work (though others more experienced with that type of casting can make more accurate comments on that). The line I have does ok with intermediate poly sink tips, but if you're looking to do T-8 or 14 type work a heavier rod would work better.

All of my testing of rods comes from getting out with the members here and trying out different rods when Gord or Brian and Francois came through, not through the shops.

Hi Rob,

I own the Decho 12'2" 5wt and love it. The three lines I've used are an 8 wt Airflo 40+, Rio AFS 4/5, and Airflo 420 grain Compact Skagit. The AFS head with a 10' polyleader or 15' mono leader is my favourite line on it so far. The Compact Skagit works nicely as well with a 10' sink tip, though don't expect to be able to cast very large streamers with it. There isn't anything wrong with the 40+ on it, but the AFS is just so much nicer.

As far as choosing between the Decho 4 and 5, I never tried the 4wt so I don't have any opinion on it. I chose the 5 wt because I thought it would handle skagit lines and some bigger streamers better, plus 12-13 foot rods seem to be my preference. I've caught trout between 12 and 20 inches on the 5 weight and they were all a lot of fun to fight. It never once felt like I could just yank them to shore. I talked to Wetduck earlier today and he said that he loved casting the 4 wt Decho. I believe he also owns the DC 5/6 so he might be able to give you a comparison between the two rods.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may have trouble finding a Scandi head light enough for the 4 wt. I don't think Vision, Rio, SA or Loop make Scandi lines that light, so you may be stuck with a 7 wt Airflo 40+ or waiting for the new Delta Squeeze(?) line for it though I think that's more of a mid-belly line.

Rob, I would recommend the Scierra HMS V2 11'9, 7/8, (19-21grams), which is equivalent too our 5/6 wt. and the matching MWF V2 7/8 Scandi shooting heads, from floating to fast sink, which are designed specifically for these rods. An outstanding rod for the price and one of the nicest that I have casted this year in the mid-price range.

http://www.scierra.com/?product=7

Greg,

Correct me if I am wrong, but 20 grams is about 300 grains. As I am currently fishing my ACR #3 with a 295 grain line (it has a grain window between 270 and 325) , the Scierra will not add anything new to my so-called "arsenal".

I was looking for something between 300 and 400 grains, to toss some bigger streamers like clousers and also be able to fish when a bit of wind is around.

Rob

Rob,

There are many excellent line options in this grain window and rod length. Some of these lines can be easily custom cut too your length/weight preference, allowing you to personally fine tune your rod/line match, to what works best for you...

Hopefully Winston Rods will reply to your enquiry and give you their line recommendations.

Vision Ace 7/8... (26grams @ 10.1m), will probably be pretty sweet right out of the box, but can be trimmed.

- http://www.visionflyfishing.com/page.php?p...=32&pid=128

Loop Opti Custom 7/8... (25grams @ 10 m), can be custom cut longer/shorter, too your length/weight preference.

- http://www.looptackle.com/website1/1.0.1.0/393/1/index.php

AirFlo Scandinavian 7/8... (25grams @ 10m), can be custom cut longer/shorter, to your length/weight preference.

(I've cut several of these lines too various lengths/weights.)

- http://www.flylines.com/Flylines_AirfloFly...fm#Scandinavian

Scierra MWF V2 8/9...(26grams @10.2m) and also the PWF custom cut heads.

- http://www.scierra.com/?product=21

- http://www.scierra.com/?product=22

Rio AFS 6/7...(26 grams @ 11m).

- http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/file/Spe...hart%202008.pdf

Unfortunately I don't share everybodies enthousiasm about Loop.

I do not know why, but their rods do not seem to do it for me.

And yes, I have casted their rods long before they were known in the US and Canada.

One of the view advantages of living in Europe is getting rods and reels from European brands before you guys do.

Also I think Loop is more of a markering bureau then a manufacturer of fishing rods.

The only thing I liked about Loop were the older reels and they were created and manufactured by Danielsson.

And Brian, for the record, my favorite troutspey is the ACR 1193-5.

I don't think it can be beaten but a little light for big streamers.

I also really love the Loop Goran 6120 for my trout fishing.... Rob, have you casted any of the newer Loop models such as the Gorans, Opti's or Multi's? Some very nice rods in these series, but some have tight grain windows and the correct line is imperative to the high performance they are capable of. This season, I have casted dozens and dozens of new rods and the Loop two handers have definetly been amongst the best I have tried. Of course, there are many good brands on the market today and it does come down to personal preference, budget, availablility and what works best for our own fishing and casting style.

Greg,

I am part of a private forum where flyshop-owners are also members.

So we have our own private tryouts where we can try most new rods and lines before they hit the shop.

It is probably my personal preference, but to this day I have not yet found a single rod from a major company that I liked.

Almost all my rods are from unknown brands or are made for me with the excepion of the Sage DS2.

I have the DS2 in a #4 and #6.

As you know I have an ACR and a Dave Lewis., so it is not so much the budget as it is preference.

I am without a doubt a little strange in the flyfishingcommunity as I do not care about the name on the rod as much as I care about the performance and the feel.

Rob

Greg,

I am part of a private forum where flyshop-owners are also members.

So we have our own private tryouts where we can try most new rods and lines before they hit the shop.

It is probably my personal preference, but to this day I have not yet found a single rod from a major company that I liked.

Almost all my rods are from unknown brands or are made for me with the excepion of the Sage DS2.

I have the DS2 in a #4 and #6.

As you know I have an ACR and a Dave Lewis., so it is not so much the budget as it is preference.

I am without a doubt a little strange in the flyfishingcommunity as I do not care about the name on the rod as much as I care about the performance and the feel.

Rob

well said dude.. ive got teh same opinion or feelings about sage, my whole flyfishing life.... only because alot of people have the view taht... that if its not sage u dont own teh best rod out there...... i got a friend that owns a rod aorund 100 bucks and prefers his 300 foller one more after owning and fishin them both.... weird i know but.. if u like tossing that stick giver!

a few more stick that you might want too try would be some g-loomis sticks.. if i recall they have a 13ft4inch 7wt (not 100% on taht tho) if u are looking too toss skagit and streamers.. they have a wider grain window.... teh deer creek is a nice rod aswell i prefer somethinga little faster myself.. the scierra stuff is nice aswell... but its all what you like the feel of in your hands... because that is the best way.. name should be so image orientated. btu thats marketing for ya....

Thanks Rob, have you considered another ACR such as the EX 12'6" 6wt.? Seems to have a larger grain window or are you looking for a faster action as well?

http://www.andersoncustomrods.com/index.htm

Greg, my ACR #3 weight is going to be my favorite rod for fishing, but it is a little slow. You are correct that I am looking for some heavier fast action rod as it will be a backup for bigger water and higher winds. May be even for fishing some searun browns in Danmark next spring or some Atlantics in summer in Norway.

Noud is looking for a softer rod as he already has a fast 7-weight, so for him the Decho and the DC will be fine.

Max, are you working for Loomis now? I noticed they have named a rod after you. :clapping:

what the "super duper ill phat tight dope trout slayin madd maxx edition"? nahh thats in the works but not by loomis......

but seriously that "max glx rod".. pretty creepy dude...... and that log jam pic..... even creepier...... maybe they are stealing my mojo

P6170034.jpg

i think my head jsut swelled from a 7 n 3/4 too a 7 n 7/8's lmao

think i shoudl demand royalties <--poke--< dutch can u be my agent?