Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Tcx

I'll admit, when I heard sage was replacing the tcr I was pretty upset. I had heard that the new rod would be slightly slower and more friendly, and that made me mad because it seemed to me that sage has the z-axis to fill that niche and the tcr was not geared toward "fishing friendlyness"

But I had the privilege of casting the new TCX yesterday, and I was extremely impressed. I was a huge fan of the TCR, but based on the short time I spent with their new offering I actually think I like it better. If it is possible, the rod even felt faster than the TCR, but it had a slightly softer tip and was so much lighter that it turned out to be much more pleasurable to cast.

While I mourn the loss of the TCR, it is good to know it has been replaced by such a worthy rod.

why no 3wt? Just not practical for this type of high performance rod? (i.e. not as many long distance / high wind casting situations?)

i want to get a really good 3wt and am looking at the 386 zxl but wondered why there wasn't a 3wt tcr (or tcx)

The TCX is an absolute cannon.

I had the privilege of being one of the first people to use it on the bow tossing streamers for a few days. Used a 6 weight, 9'0 with a 200 grain Streamer Express from my boat, and 80 to 100 foot casts were easily manageable with a 5" lead-eyed clouser to bunny strip flies (in the Carseland/Jansen region, with wind..). From what i've heard from reports from recent trips to Mongolia, the TCX 8 and 10 weights were the weapons of choice to be tossing 6-10" squirel poppers into the wind. There is not another rod on the market that i will recommend over the TCX for fishing big streamers, Permit, Bonefish, Taimen, Baby Tarpon and pushing big bugs into the wind....

I will hopefully be getting a chance to play around with the TCX 9140 spey next week on the Babine for steelhead, i'm sure it will live up to its shorter brothers

The TCR was extremely touchy for the average caster, most people did not have good enough timing to get the rod to do what it could. The TCX is a lot more maneagable, as you can feel the rod load much better. The upgrade to Generation 5 tech has a big influence on the way you can feel the rod load, letting a caster know when the rod is ready to fire. I think it's a more fishing friendly rod for the average fisherman, and easier on the caster after a long day on the river with mass being lowered...

Brewingup. The TCX is a rod made for a lot more for power then presentation that your average 3 weight offers. It is offered in a 4 weight. I'd also assume that Sage does not want to compete with itself by offering every weight in every series.

I'd look at getting a Z-axis in a 3 weight (only offered in 9 foot model in a 3 wt) if you're looking for a faster action rod. If you want a bit slower, the ZXL is offered down to a 2 weight. Also, the Orvis Helios is probably the single nicest 3 weight you'll ever find.

i want to get a really good 3wt and am looking at the 386 zxl but wondered why there wasn't a 3wt tcr (or tcx)

I built a 3wt Dancraft FT because rodbuilding.org said it was comparable to a TCR and some tournament casters were switching to the FT. I don't know if that's true, but the 3 wt weight is the fastest rod I own and can handle 27in browns without a problem.