Fly Fusion Forums

Monic Running Line

headscan

Anyone know of a reputable source for Monic running lines? I haven't seen it locally so it looks like I'll have to order online. Really want to try this for the winter after my SA mono running line froze up and coiled yesterday. The monic running line has a GSP no-stretch core and coating that's supposed to reduce those problems while maintaining a thin diameter and high break strength.

Anyone know of a reputable source for Monic running lines? I haven't seen it locally so it looks like I'll have to order online. Really want to try this for the winter after my SA mono running line froze up and coiled yesterday. The monic running line has a GSP no-stretch core and coating that's supposed to reduce those problems while maintaining a thin diameter and high break strength.

I ordered direct from them and it worked out well when I ordered their floating lines (clear).

al

sharkskin running line is being released to the public very soon, i'd hold off getting anything else...

Brent, the line isn't out yet, Have you tested it yet to recommend it to people instead of the monic? Just wondering if you have some inside info fronm the shop.

Bcube,

Just curious as I was not at the trade show due to work, but what have the reps and people that tried it had to say?

For me I need more info including nagative and positive, if the postives outweight the nagatives then it would be worth it, but without knowing these things it is hard for me to make up my mind.

Also, no offence to any rep, I have been in sales for many of years, and I always hipe the stuff I am selling (unless I am asked for my own personal opion on the product)

I have found over the years of beeing in sales that sale reps for diffrent manufactures almost always says that their product is by far the most supiror with little backing to why it is the best.

Here is a example.

CDs and DvDs, for the most half they are all maunfactured out of the same plant but have diffrent names put on them. Alot of the time the diffrence in price you are paying for is the name on the cd and the outside advertising. There is for the most half no diffrence between the two products but if you talk to a sony rep they claim it is the best out there, same as with other companies.

If I was told why it is better and what is diffrent about this one product vs another then I can make a better judgement on it.

sharkskin running line is being released to the public very soon, i'd hold off getting anything else...

Bruce showed me a spool of the Sharkskin running line (yellow) that Mike probably brought back from the show. I think I'm going to go with the Monic instead though. I'm going to be using the line with Skagit and Scandi heads, which means shooting and stripping. Don't think I'm too keen on having the Sharkskin rip/burn my fingers. I also have a feeling that the Sharkskin will be a lot pricier than Monic and other running lines based on the Sharkskin full line price. I'm sure it will be good and some people will love it, but it isn't for me.

I've heard good things about the Monic running line - Mike McCune raved about it on Speypages.

Personally I have been using the Ridgeline shootline running line and have little to complain about it.

Floats nice, Shoots great for me, only thing I have to complain about is that sometimes it will coil up (mostly in colder weather) and when it gets dirty it tends to sink abit.

I have one of the Airflo Ridge running lines as well and find it's ok but not great. Mono shoots way further, but I find the Ridge doesn't coil at all. It's so thick though that you might as well buy a full line instead of a head + running line. Anyways, I'm already fully decided on the Monic because I want low diameter running line that doesn't stretch at all or coil in the cold. Not currently aware of any other running line that has all those properties.

all i said is that I'd hold off...aka, if it was my choice, i'd wait, due to the fact of how good i've heard it to be..

Same concept as the sharkskin WF line, less friction = better shooting and higher floating for easier long distance mending.

Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Monic gsp is great for the low stretch factor but a little rough on the hands. Personally I prefer flat beam of which the lts is the best I have found. I agree with Max about slickshooter being great as it is durable and cheap and rarely tangles once used enough to be stretched out. As mentioned any type of mono is going to react to temps. As such expect slickshooter to be a little coily in ultra cold(freezing) temps. A quick soak in a bowl of warm water will help butter up flat beam mono for a good stretch.