Fly Fusion Forums

Question On Cuttie Colours

ÜberFly

So we hiked into a high mtn lake today (for obvious reasons, I won't disclose the name or locale) and I had an absolutely STELLAR day with the biggest cutties I've ever (consistently) caught in a high mtn lake (3 in 5 minutes over 15" - the first one in 30 sec - 1st cast!!), anyway, enough bragging... So one of the cutties was a buck and was super orange in colour (I initially thought he was bleeding when I first hooked him)! I was under the impression that these were "spawning colours" and that cutties spawned in the spring... What's up?!

Peter

cutties do spawn in teh spring with a rise in the temp BUT when the temps go down in the fall it passes through that same range and they get colored up.. same with teh bows.. happenstoo browns and bulls n brookies in te spring too... it dosnt trigger spawning tho because they temp is dropping rather than rising in teh cutties world but it does make em really perdy again..... or atleast that is what i figure.. see it lots in t fall or spring depending on were ur fishing and what your fishing for... hope that helps

Thanks Max!

P

cutties do spawn in teh spring with a rise in the temp BUT when the temps go down in the fall it passes through that same range and they get colored up.. same with teh bows.. happenstoo browns and bulls n brookies in te spring too... it dosnt trigger spawning tho because they temp is dropping rather than rising in teh cutties world but it does make em really perdy again..... or atleast that is what i figure.. see it lots in t fall or spring depending on were ur fishing and what your fishing for... hope that helps

Thanks Al!

P

In addition to what Max said you might have also encountered a kelt, a fish that spawned earlier and has not yet regained his strength and coloring. I do though prefer Max's take on it though.

• 3 weeks later...