Fly Fusion Forums

Bears, Bears, Bears....

I know this topic has been discussed repeatedly and I don't want to open up any debates, but I think anyone heading into the Sundre area to fish or hunt needs to be aware that we are experiencing higher than normal bear problems. A hunter was found dead yesterday south of town near the Westward Ho/Bergen road. Suggestions are a grizzly killed him. The bear in question has been sighted today over by the corn maze off of hiway 22. The grade 2 classes were set to go there today for a party -needless to say they cancelled. A boar grizz has been seen 5 miles north of town along the Red (I find this out today after I fished there Tues.). A black bear and cubs have been causing problems in town along the river. A trap has been set for another black bear causing problems west of town, south on range road 6-1. North west of town a ranch has had trouble with a grizz all summer and now the rancher feels there are 2 in the area.

A lot of the sightings appear to be along the rivers -where we fish. Maybe the west country is okay since all the bears have moved eastward. Odd the number of grizz that keep being seen and yet they keep telling us how few there are left in Ab.

So carry spray, don't carry that smelly sausage and keep your eyes open.

A hunter was found dead yesterday south of town near the Westward Ho/Bergen road. Suggestions are a grizzly killed him.

very sad news re: the hunter. i believe another hunter was killed by a bear last year in that general area?

thanks for the update, good advice to be prepared.

very sad news re: the hunter. i believe another hunter was killed by a bear last year in that general area?

thanks for the update, good advice to be prepared.

No the hunter last year was killed out near Yaha Tinda Ranch -way to the west. This incident occured just off of Hiway 22 between Cremona and Westward Ho.

How do they claim that grizzly bear numbers are steadily declining year after year yet sightings and negative human encounters (deaths and maulings) have increased within the same time frame?

With my own personal sightings while hunting and fishing my sightings are definately increasing. I am not in areas where bears have been kicked out of areas by oil exploration, etc. Mostly in K- country is where I see grizzlies on almost every trip! Nothing scientific about my findings, but it does show a trend.

I ran into a guy/Park employee who was studying the Grizzly bears while I was hunting in K-countryt last year and he said the population outside of the Provincial park was in fact declining, only the population within Peter Lougheed was stable?? How he differentiated the difference in this population was beyond me as the Provincial Park is surrounded by K-country?

Rumor has it in the ongoing barbwire DNA test south of highway 3 where they expected to be only 20-25 grizzlies left...so far they they have found over a hundred.................unconfirmed rumor only