Fly Fusion Forums

Backcountry Float Tube Inflation

I have the old-style belly boat (w/ inner tube), and wanted to pack it into a lake deflated. However I can't seem to find a portable hand-powered air pump that will fit the inner tube's valve stem, which is the same as a car tire valve stem.

I imagine something must exist, other than a bicycle pump, that would work. I cannot seem to find one in Edmonton though.

Typically I use the DC air pump and inflate it at the truck, but I don't want to pack the inflated tube through the bush.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I use a canadian tire inflation station - was about 40 bucks, comes with two handheld pumps plus all the adaptors (high vol / low pres + high pres / low vol) comes with 2 batteries. I've had mine for 3 years and the batts are starting to get tired but 1 will still fill the tube. (also comes with a DC adapter for the car/truck) - for your tube use the low pres / high volume pump, it gets you 90% there - I usually bring it up to full pressure with a few puffs but with your auto type valve you will have to carry both pumps (but you could prolly get by with one batt which keeps your pack light) or - use just the high pres pump only, takes longer but less to carry.

The CO2 cartridge sounds like a good idea....

I find that myself, and a few buds arounds here all got sick of blowing up our tubes and we all just haul them full now - a little creativity and you can rig it up to fit perfectly as a big U over your backpack - it is surprisingly nimble if you get it right - I don't bother de-airing for anything less than 5 km

Also - I have seen some mountain bike pumps that are pretty tiny - that might be a way to go too

tried the little c02 things and even with the bigger cartridges available it was useless. The biggest cartridges I could find were about the size of a small soup can though. I guess they are designed for bike tires though..... So I ended up blowing it up by mouth (I can screw the valve out on mine) and used my last 2 cartridges to give it a bit more pressure as you can only get so much pressure with your lungs...... It worked but it was a major drag and was not as well inflated as I wanted. I also don't deflate for short hikes but for longer hikes or heli trips when you have to a decent bike pump or the one Pipestoneflyguy mentions would likely be your best bet.......