Fly Fusion Forums

Where To Buy Quality Flies

Hey everyone, I have been hit by the cheap fly buy resulting in demolished flies... Where is the best place to get quality flies??? I "used" to get them at wholesale, but recently changed that... I tried flies from Russell's but they are about the same... I managed to pick a few flies up on a recent trip to the states from Cabela's and they seem to be alot better... The wholeslae russels flies last about 2 fish then they start to fall apart and become unusable... The Cablela's flies are definately better, but I don;t want to have to wait to get them shipped in... I'm new to ff (first year since I was a kid) and haven't visited any of the small local shops... I tend to wait till my shipment from cabela's arrives, but when a guy needs a dozen flies in a couple days notice, where does a guy go... I have been told that Fish Tales is good...

thanks for the help,

keep the line tight and tip up...

I buy my flies locally at West Winds, Fish Tales, and Troutfitters. All are good, but West Winds has quite a few hand-tied custom flies that are really nice and you won't find elsewhere. I've also heard really good things about Icky Flyworks (one of the site sponsors) but don't have any personal experience with them.

Guest RedWiggler
You can always buy a fly tying kit..... then u know how well they are put together....:)

Agreed, I tie my own and they hold up better than any fly's I have purchased in the past. If you do need to buy them then just make sure you pick through the bins for good quality flies cause any store you go into will have crappy flies you just need to pick through them, I will recommend shopping at Fishtales for anything you need.

I get most of mine at Fish Tales or Country Pleasures. I like a lot of Idlywildes patterns, which you can also find at the Fishing Hole or online. They can be pricey but the quality is in line with the price.

I buy pretty much at any of the local shops but I also have gone with Ickyflyworks. The service at icky was rock solid and the flies worked just fine.