Fly Fusion Forums

Bears Bears Bears...

I spent Sundy on the Highwood river with the hound dog, nice sight mfishing for browns but the bears are everywhere. I Ran into a 400lb Grizz about 40 yards away grazing on berrys. Lucky for me everytime I go to Longview I load up on fireworks. Once the bear started to come down the bank towards me I sent a roman candle up his ass! It did send him running but 10 mins later the same bear was following me down the river and wouldn't let me up the bank. Two more roman candles and I was out of there.

I went back into Longview reloaded on air bombs and jurkey and went down lower to the canyon section of the river, thinking there were less berries and would not have another bear scare. Not the case. 20mins into it another BIG black bear followed me on just the other side of the river. More air bombs and away he went. After 3 solid hours of being bear free the dog went nutzo, yet another Grizz on the same side of the creek about 50yards up. MOre air bombs up his ass and I got the hell out of the Highwood.

Just a note, be prepared if you go into bear country and a little can of bear spray is only tabasco sauce for his meal..you. As for the knife good luck! remember a bear has 5 knives attached to each hand.

I will post pics of the bears later.

Matt

Just be carefull shooting fireworks into the bush thats a good way to start a fire. Also if you shoot one over a bears shoulder and it blows up behind him its very possible it will push him towards you. They reccomend with bear bangers to just shoot em straight up and let the bang hopefully scare em off

Just a note, be prepared if you go into bear country and a little can of bear spray is only tabasco sauce for his meal..you. As for the knife good luck! remember a bear has 5 knives attached to each hand.

Matt

Recent study out of the U of C showed that bear spray was effective in 90% of encounters. The stuff does work.

Just be carefull shooting fireworks into the bush thats a good way to start a fire. Also if you shoot one over a bears shoulder and it blows up behind him its very possible it will push him towards you. They reccomend with bear bangers to just shoot em straight up and let the bang hopefully scare em off

It sure lit a fire under that Bears ass!

You took the words right out of my mouth LoneFisher. I've talked with a few of the CO's I know & they recommend whistlers instead of bangers. The bangers launch & then go off at the end of their travel, which as LF mentioned could scare the bear towards you. Whistlers on the other had start screaming as soon as you launch them. You still need to watch it doesn't land in the brush & ignite it. Or worse, hit the bear & get it really mad at you.