Fly Fusion Forums

Decent Setup

alhuger

I went salmon fishing a few weeks back and tried a new setup while I was out there and I enjoyed it. I fished it on the bow today and it's just as well put together for our water. The set up is a TFO Deer Creek 12.6 5/6 loaded with a 420 grain compact skagit looped onto SA Floating Monocore .21 shooting line. I fished 15 foot tips in type 8 and a floater from the AF Delta Spey Multi wallet. At least for me this set up is excellent. I would recommend people give it a shot if you have the DC 5/6.

Today while checking it out on the bow I wanted to tie on a streamer but all I had were these huge steelhead flies (yes, huge is relative) I've been tying. The one I tied on was about 5 inches long and in pretty garish colors. As it happens though I tied it with a stinger loop and I had no hook. To make do I slipped a green bomber chironomid as the the stinger. On the second cast I picked up a 20’ brown. Cool.

al

I owned that exact set up, with those same lines and they performed very well, as you have experienced. I also use to own the DC 8130 with matching compact skagit head and AF Delta multi tip, which also worked equally well.

These days I have been really enjoying Underhand casting with the faster European Spey rods and Scandinavian shooting heads.