Fly Fusion Forums

If You Were Me.. What Would You Do?

I use a 9 foot 3wt and have absolutely no problems fishing small creeks. You can roll cast further and with more accuracy if you have a longer rod. Nymphing is easier with a longer rod and presentation in general is easier. You can mend easier with a longer rod.

I have used TFO rods for years and I think I know how to cast...been doing it for 18 years. I do own several high end rods and I also own four TFO's which are my go-to rods, so to speak. My 4wt Finesse had the balls to yank a 24 inch bull out of a deep hole on the Highwood a few weeks ago. You just have to know how to use the stick properly and it won't break. I've had one break on me over the years and that was when I hit a dog on the nose with it...I'm confident that would've broke any rod.

Kris, no offence man but I was casting with my Finesse at the Little Smoky and I was out casting your Sage...or maybe just the caster <--poke--< . Let's get out to the Ram sometime before the snow hits.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input guys! I managed to get some money from selling my skates yesterday, so I'll be getting SOMETHING this weekend. Just not sure what yet.

The other thing I need to get is a proper waterproof fishing jacket.

I use a 9 foot 3wt and have absolutely no problems fishing small creeks. You can roll cast further and with more accuracy if you have a longer rod. Nymphing is easier with a longer rod and presentation in general is easier. You can mend easier with a longer rod.

I have used TFO rods for years and I think I know how to cast...been doing it for 18 years. I do own several high end rods and I also own four TFO's which are my go-to rods, so to speak. My 4wt Finesse had the balls to yank a 24 inch bull out of a deep hole on the Highwood a few weeks ago. You just have to know how to use the stick properly and it won't break. I've had one break on me over the years and that was when I hit a dog on the nose with it...I'm confident that would've broke any rod.

Sweet dude! I've done the same with a 2 weight! It wasn't 24 inches but it was pushing 22. I wasn't expecting him but you're right, if you know how to handle your stick you'll have nothing but fun. I'm talking fishing here guys. LOL!

Oh yeah and in Water Marks Jim does a good job explaining this point in one of his chapters. Check it out, great book.

Thanks for all the input guys! I managed to get some money from selling my skates yesterday, so I'll be getting SOMETHING this weekend. Just not sure what yet.

The other thing I need to get is a proper waterproof fishing jacket.

Ummm...I think you missed my post, you are gonna buy my rods and I'm going to get something this weekend. Seriously, you gotta listen up. <--poke--<

8'9'' is waaaaaaaaaaaay too long for a 3wt. Look for a 7' or 7'6''

hmmm, don't agree. my fave rod is (should be was) sage 389-3LL. great on small streams and great on the bow river. had a 379LL which was good too but way prefer the 8'9" the extra reach is great. also have a winston 7'6" and it hasn't left the closet in about 6 years. probably one of those to each his own things. what would the problem be with it longer?

but unfortunately my pal's @#$%^&*(@#^%$ choc lab turned it from a 3 piece into a 5 piece rod as i was stringing it last weekend. still don't understand how he broke a 7" piece out of one of the sections but he did. not sure what will happen with the warranty as i think the LL line is discontinued.

Why do you want 4 piece rods? Unless you're planning on flying to some destination, and who doesn't want to, a 2 piece no disadvantage. Maybe if you drive a mini car? I've found that I always get some rotation in the joint between the butt and second sections of a 4 piece while casting. You just have to move it every so often, but it never happens on a 2 piece. A minor peeve of mine.

Why do you want 4 piece rods? Unless you're planning on flying to some destination, and who doesn't want to, a 2 piece no disadvantage. Maybe if you drive a mini car? I've found that I always get some rotation in the joint between the butt and second sections of a 4 piece while casting. You just have to move it every so often, but it never happens on a 2 piece. A minor peeve of mine.

Easier to carry around that's all.

I would go with a short 7'6" for the 3w, why would you want to high-stick with a 3w on a small creek? Most times you can get away with a smallish dry and a small beadhead dropper on flouro tippet for small creeks.

Ever consider a 4-piece 5w? Pretty versatile for most fishing situations, including high-sticking smaller rivers. IMHO you should keep your 2-piece 6w for the Bow since it don't really matter you aren't really packing it in like you would in the mountains.

If you do like high-sticking and are stuck on a new 6w, get a 9'6". I like my FLi in that length for nymphing the Bow.

Good luck, buying new stuff is fun

I would go with a short 7'6" for the 3w, why would you want to high-stick with a 3w on a small creek? Most times you can get away with a smallish dry and a small beadhead dropper on flouro tippet for small creeks.

I like my little Sage 8'6" 3wt. The length allows you to reach out into the small stream while staying behind cover or to crawl on the grass and easily move the fly into the desired current without casting.

Where there is really tight bush, I break my rod down to 2 pcs. to move through it.

I'll often use my 9' 5wt for fishing the same places.

Don't let anyone tell you that length doesn't matter...

I've gotten a few emails and PM's since my "rant".. some things brought to my attention that I was unaware of. I just may turn to the 'dark side' yet.. :P

That being said.. any comments on the quality of Sage's cheapest rods.. the Launch?

My 3wt is a Launch.

Softer action, but I love it. Great for the small stuff I do. Soft tip, progessive action that will bend right down to the cork.

I tried a bunch of lower cost 3wts (I don't fish 3wts much), and the launch cast the best for me. Much better than some of the stiffer rods out tere for what I wanted it for (delicate, close fishing).

(I also really like the colour, not that that has anything to do with it)

I like my little Sage 8'6" 3wt. The length allows you to reach out into the small stream while staying behind cover or to crawl on the grass and easily move the fly into the desired current without casting.

Where there is really tight bush, I break my rod down to 2 pcs. to move through it.

I'll often use my 9' 5wt for fishing the same places.

Don't let anyone tell you that length doesn't matter...

Yes a 9' 5wt is good for alot of situations, including some situations on a small creek. Thats why I suggested it as an alternative to getting a new 6weight. Delicate casts are easier with a lighter rod though, and alot more fun with a fish on. I'd rather have a shorter rod for small creeks if you do have to cast, say upstream, when there is alot of over-hanging obstacles.

Try a Sage FLi, its been a good for me and its only a bit more expensive than a Launch. My 9'6" only cost $330.

Yes a 9' 5wt is good for alot of situations, including some situations on a small creek. Thats why I suggested it as an alternative to getting a new 6weight. Delicate casts are easier with a lighter rod though, and alot more fun with a fish on. I'd rather have a shorter rod for small creeks if you do have to cast, say upstream, when there is alot of over-hanging obstacles.

Try a Sage FLi, its been a good for me and its only a bit more expensive than a Launch. My 9'6" only cost $330.

Good points.

Do you notice the extra weight associated with the 9'6"?

I had considered it or a 10fter before I got my switch rod, but I wasn't sure if it would wreak your arm after a long day of fishing.

Kris, no offence man but I was casting with my Finesse at the Little Smoky and I was out casting your Sage...or maybe just the caster <--poke--< . Let's get out to the Ram sometime before the snow hits.

I'm back home now for good. Next year!?

You are a better caster, by far. You also have a 6' 2wt which you'd use on the creeks I'm thinking of. You're also sortof comparing apples to oranges, 4 to 3. Combo it up with you being a better caster and having a heavier, longer rod, and yeah, you'll whip my ass any day of the week. I was admittedly undergunned on the L Smoky in rod length, but the water was uber high!?

Everyone can have their damn opinion, mine is that if you want a 3wt, you want a short one.