Fly Fusion Forums

My Brother's Visit

reevesr1

My brother made it up for several days from Houston to join us on a camping trip at Mt. Kidd. He blew into town on Wed and I picked him up at the airport and carted him up to the Kananaskis golf course so he could enjoy a round of golf in the rain and cold. He loved it so much that him and I played on Thursday. I used to beat him pretty regular (read: always), now not so much. He's playing a lot, me just a little and it shows. Anyway, it was cold and rainy. Gotta love the mountains in August. In case we weren't cold enough, the wife dragged us to the street festival in Banff. +8 and raining. Nice. Here are a few shots of us enjoying the festivities:

p8210006wh7.jpg

p8210008cl9.jpg

p8210016nn2.jpg

I call this one "I kissed a boy, he didn't like it, Should have tried cherry chapstick"

p8210012xe8.jpg

The next morning broke clear. My son, brother and myself headed south in search of willing trout. I originally planned on the upper Highwood, but I haven't fished it much and wasn't too sure if he would have enough casting room (he's only fly fished once before), or how educated the trout were. Instead, I opted for a creek I have a bit more confidence in. Small fish, but not as concerned about presentation. We ended up with around a couple dozen hookups in the 4 or so hours on the water. My brother proved more than adept at catching suckers! I wish I had some pictures to prove it, but he lost his camera late in the day on a tiny little creek, much to his consternation. Here are a couple of pics of the day:

p8220025rr8.jpg

p8220022gu3.jpg

Probably the funniest part of the trip was when he hooked a pretty nice little rainbow that ran straight at him. He backed up the bank and fell right on his ass. Kept the rod up and was still trying to fight the fish! I took the rod from him so he could get up, but the fish ran under the bank just below my feet and hooked the line around a small branch and got off. My brother's response:

"I'd a got him if you would have just stayed out of it!"