Fly Fusion Forums

Place To Take A New Fly Fisher

I'm looking for an easy place to fly fish where I could most likely catch a few fish. My 14 year old cousin who's visiting for the summer has just asked me to teach him how to fly fish tomorrow as he's leaving on Monday. I'm thinking stocked ponds may be kind of fished out by now and a cutthroat stream might be better. What does everyone else think? Is there anywhere near Calgary where I could easily teach him, and have a good chance at a few fish? Thanks

How far you wanna drive? Hour away, Cataract on the trunk rd has ton of eager brookies, another hour away the NW branch of the Oldman above the falls has a metric tonne of easy to catch small cutts.

Always great to teach the younger ones! I would highly reccomend the Fallen Timber Creek on the FTR, great access, beautiful country, and some of the most gullible trout you can find around. Also better than that there is a few decent sized ones and always 1 or 2 in the spots you would expect to find them. Great for teaching how to read the water, and quite a bit of casting room. Good luck!

Stauffer Creek.......just kidding. Any of the small tribs flowing into the Ram system are usually filled with small cutts that are easy to catch. Pretty close to a fish on every cast, keeps the interest up and helps with confidence too. Then you can turn him loose on Stauffer.