Fly Fusion Forums

It's Been My Pleasure

Hey Guys,

"So long and thanks for all the fish." Douglas Adam,; Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I joined this forum before I left Ireland in July, as I wanted to do some homework on the area I have been visiting (Sundre). I had immediate response and advice from some of you guys, and some of it was critical. Thanks. I had previously pulled out a map of Alberta and decided to stick with a stream that I later was advised doesn't fish well, but I was put right! I also heard of "Fishing the Forestry Trunk Road", a most enjoyable read, and again great advice. While in Alberta I managed to fish the Fallen Timber, Red Deer, North Ram, South Ram, North Raven, some of these several times. It was amazing!! I didn't catch the big ones this time (I have fished the Bow and Crowsnest on previous visits for the big ones), but I did catch my first Brookie and Cutthroat trout. I also stopped to inspect more streams than I could expect to fish! This wouldn't have been possible but for the goodwill of the fly-fishing Gentlemen and Lady that I had the pleasure of sharing the beautiful streams of Alberta. I've learned more than I could have expected!

A special thanks to Mikefromsundre and his wife! for sharing more than a stream!, to "Air" from Edmonton for turning a 4-hour blank on the North Ram into Cutthroat action! To the Sundre Fish and Game folks for allowing my 5-yr-old daughter to fish their pond; she caught her first fish on her first cast! How do I follow that act???

I'm grateful to the flyfishers of Alberta for sharing my dream, and I can't wait until I visit again! I had a blast!

Tight lines,

Greenpeter

(this is a popular Irish Caddis pattern)

AKA Dirk

PS I also hired a guide in Maple Ridge, BC, for a great day on a small but beautiful stream, the South Allouette. If you need a guide that enjoys fishing and is great value, check out http://www.flyfishingwithjohn.com - $225 for the day! He fishes for trout and salmon on the Harrison; I'll try him out next time I'm back, if the fish are running.

post-2283-1219282651.jpg