Fly Fusion Forums

"foreigner" Heading Up North

Hi Everyone.

I live in Michigan, USA.. Just North of Detroit. My job involves LOTS of travel and I try to get out to places to FF in the summer. I only recently figured out that Calgary was an "fishing" option and have been trying to find out more about your local fishery. Not looking for anyone's secret spots or honeyholes, but if anyone has a moment to respond (PM or on here), I'd be very greatful.

First Question.. I have both regular (felts) and studded travel wading boots, do I need the studs?

Still looking for where to get a one-day liscense online, or a local fly shop that I can score on at-- preferably between the airport and river (I think in terms of "overhead" when I have a short time to fish).

I tie and have for a number of years, so if you have specific flies that work, I can churn some out. I guess the "Bow River Bugger" might be a good place to start?

I will be in Calgary the afternoon/evening of 26 Aug (a Tuesday) and 17 Sep (a Wednesday). I arrive at the airport around 1 pm and will fish till dark. Am not looking for a guide or anything... I actuallly enjoy doing the research, tying, and then trying to solve the riddle while on the stream. I will likely head straight from the rental car place at the airport out to the river (I am thinking Bow River). While Out West, I enjoy nymphing (here in MI with all the wood in the river, nymphing is more like "decorating the bottom") and would also be interested in some places to fish with a "travel" sized Spey rod I may bring along this trip. (I am already in touch with "FrenchCreek", who I found through a Spey-related board).

On the off chance that anyone is getting a bit tired of their current fishing buds, or would like to join in the fun, that would be great as well. I have been FF for 15 years, Spey for about 4. Every once-so-often, I find a local that is interested in getting together and each experience has been positive, from swapping techniques, stories, and (where appropriate) making fun of the other's accents!

Thanks for your time, Hope you all have a great fishing season up there.

Scott

White Lake, MI, USA

One important detail to remember Scott is make sure you gear (boots, waders) is fully cleaned if jumping around watersheds. We wouldn't want to have any unwanted foreign water organisms spreading, same when returning home. But yeah dude if you want, keep in touch and maybe we can hook up on the 17th of sept.

PMs sent to both of you guys, thanks!

>>make sure you gear (boots, waders) is fully cleaned if jumping around watersheds<<

This is very true. I have a cleaning/drying routine for my stuff since I do get to travel around to fishing places in the summer. I also keep one totally seperate pair of waders/boots for a river I go to that has NZ mud snails. This gives a great use for my old, patched-up waders, and an excuse to have a few different pairs.

Scott