Fly Fusion Forums

Regulations For Pontoons

cdock

Someone asked awhile back about what is required for a pontoon boat as regards to regulations and safety. I couldn't find the post so I just thought I'd add this link to a new topic. A pontoon falls under the Canoes/Rowboats section (at least that's what I was told by Fish and Wildlife). This is pretty clear on what is required. I'm still trying to figure out how to use a bailing device though. :blink:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/TP/TP511/boat.htm#top

I remember with the boating licenses were first coming out and I had this discussion on the bailing buckets with a pontoon. The poor guy wouldn't bend, or even see my side on the uselessness of a bailing bucket. Kept saying that it was mandatory and an important safety device for me. :)

I've had the bucket discussion 3 times with the authorities, twice in Alberta and once in BC. Both times in Alberta the Officer would not budge, (although I actually carry one to meet the requirements). I asked them both to show me the proper use of the bucket in case of an emergency and they refused, but still insisted it is 100% necessary for my safety.

In BC, the discussion started by the Officer asking me what the hell the bucket was for. When I told him it was necessary....Blah, blah, he had a good laugh at our expense.

Common sense just isn't so common some times.

I've had the bucket discussion 3 times with the authorities, twice in Alberta and once in BC. Both times in Alberta the Officer would not budge, (although I actually carry one to meet the requirements). I asked them both to show me the proper use of the bucket in case of an emergency and they refused, but still insisted it is 100% necessary for my safety.

In BC, the discussion started by the Officer asking me what the hell the bucket was for. When I told him it was necessary....Blah, blah, he had a good laugh at our expense.

Common sense just isn't so common some times.

Absolutely classic!! LOL