Fly Fusion Forums

Scierra Xdp Reviews

I was looking to upgrade my reel. I have my eye on the scierra xdp 6/7 wt reel for the Bow River and general Alberta fishing on my 6/7 wt fenwick graphite rod.

Anyone seen this rell, own it, used it? I would love to hear your feed back.

ICY

dont own one but i have seen em.. i go tmyself a tx2 and love it.. the xdp is a nice reel for the price.. machined body lightweight good drag system.. disc i believe.. check out scierra.com for all the info... but i would recommend one forsure!

Iceman,

Did you and Maverick remain friends? Still keep in touch? Did he stayed married to Kelli McGillis? I hope you hooked up with Meg Ryan after she got over Goose. She was hot back in the day.

I've been using an XDP since the winter, sort of testing it for Hanson's. The thought being if I can't break it, it must be good. It has been my go to reel for awhile now. Very smooth easy to operate drag, wide arbor, light (particularly for a $150.00 reel), seems to be made really well and looks really good. Mine is in chrome, but if I had the option, I'd get the gun metal blue one.

And I didn't break it. Wayne asked for it back the other day. I said, "what are you talking about?"

Great reel. I highly recommend it.

theiceman2,

Bought a couple of the XDP reels, Salmon and Trout last year, (they have been out in the UK for about a Year i guess), not bad for the money and way better than the XDA which was complete rubbish, the only problem i have had is with grit getting inside the little slots on the inside of the drag system, other than that it seems to work ok.

Gordon.

I did end up picking up that reel after all, and love it, the comment about sand in the drag system is somewhat correct. I found if I laid the rod down to tie a new tippet or change flies and the reel touched the ground or sand bar the reel sounded like a cheese grater in a fight with a hammer. I just sumberged the reel in the water a pulled two strips of line and the sand cleaned itself out of the reel, very nice feature on the sealed drag unit. Loving this reel, highly recomended for $150 at Hansons, you can't find a better reel for the price....I looked.