Fly Fusion Forums

Warmer Weather

chidders

Depending on where you go....for sure it will.

If it remains hot, the Cutthroat fishing up high should be great, but the lower elevation fishing will be slow.

The Browns will stay tucked under cover and won't be seen while the sun is out, so if you're fishing the Bow, go early or really late.

Fish the faster water and/or the deep pools on the south bank.

....and bring Sun Screen and wear Sun Glasses with good UV protection. Especially if you are fishing the North bank of the Bow.

Another option is to hit the high Lakes since a lot of them opened on July 1st. If it's nice and hot, the fishing up high should be great.

Water temperature is always one of the keys. A thermometer is always a good investment. Amazing what your can find out about any body of water by a quick measure. I know areas of the Bow for example that can flux by 10 degrees in certain areas where springs etc come in and can drastically change insect and trout activity.

The rainbow trout’s ideal temperature feeding range runs from 44 degrees to 54 degrees. The ideal temperature is 54 degrees. For Browns 50 - 56 degrees, and the cutthroat’s ideal temperature is 50 degrees. This is just my personal experience.

But other factors such as cover, light and and general activity of the species as far as if they are nocturnal feeders or not. There are always those trout that act out of the norm. For example last weekend I encountered a big brown feeding along a flooded pathway 12 feet in from the river.separated from the river by 3 inches deep grass flooded water. The temptation of minnow fry was just too much.

Just keep them in the water when you catch them!!

With air temps this high you want to minimize their exposure to it. Lucky the water temps are still a fairly low (will be higher than average I'm sure though!!)

No need to get the high, out of water fish pictures. Go with the amazing trip and action shots when the weather is like this.