Fly Fusion Forums

Casting For Distance

This is something that I've stumbled upon as working for me when trying to really get it out there. However, I've also read that it is much more efficient to false cast a few times with just the head of the line off the rod, then build up some line speed through a few false casts and shoot when casting. Any thoughts?

I am probably going to get shot for saying this but you want distance with as little wear and tear on the body, then go to a two hander, most beginners can get out anywhere from 30 to 40 feet with little effort, my cofrtable distance right now with a two hander is about 60 feet.

For the cutty streams and smaller rivers a single hander all the way, double haul if need but you will need to practice it.

Take your rod to a large feild and just tie on a piece of yarn, no hooks needed for this practice.

Practice a double haul, haul out while d loop is forming behind you give it line, then stop aburtly take back the line you gave come forward like throwing a football and let the line rock out.

After 2 months of 10mins a night practice I am starting to get a pretty decent double haul going.

I believe the ability to cast some distance is important. In many sports the principal of over speed/strength training is used to increase speed, control, and power at game speeds.

You have to have a technically solid cast to reach distances. This technical ability will make you a better all around caster at every distance. You will very rarely have to bomb a 60+ ft. cast.

Also, rods are designed to perform at their best with a certain amount of line out. The performance changes with shorter or longer casts. It takes practice and skill to work the rod to it's best under the varying on water conditions.

In general, I avoid a lot of false casting especial over the water I'm interested in. I've also found that I tend to catch more fish when I forget about distance and really focus on maintaning good line control while nymphing. For streamer fishing I'm still try to polish my double haul...

I think with half decent equipment anyone should be able to cast 60' and have the line turn over nicely. If you're trying to go beyond that then you need to focus on the fundamentals.

Remember always that when double hauling, line speed is controlled with the line hand - NOT the rod hand. The key to good casting is smooth acceleration and a crisp stop. Lefty Kreh has an awesome video illustrating this and I think they have it at Fish Tales.

i doublehaul lots and almost strictly shoot line... its the easiest most efficient way i think.. i rarely false cast with more than my head out and dont false cast a ton.... its why WF lines are ment too be IMHO shooting heads!

Don't mean to sound totally stupid here, but it is a habit of mine.... What is a false cast and a double haul? I think that I understand "shooting" - when you hand onto the line and then let it go on the forward stroke?

Check this out for a good lesson and pantomine of double hauling.

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml

I'll also echo what Castuserraticus said...

Knowing how to cast distance is very important and fundemental to bettering yourself as a flyfisher.

You never know when you'll need that extra drift... or when you need the length of line to lay on the water for a downstream presentation... or that reach around that boulder... etc.

(or getting past the weeds at Bullshead)

Practice, practice, practice

For those that disagree... Why would you buy a fast car if you drive around the speed limit most of the time?

:rolleyes: