Fly Fusion Forums

Downtown Fishing

Hey Guys,

I am moving to Calgary in August and will be living downtown pretty close to the Bow. Last time I went through there a couple weeks ago the water looked pretty high through town. Is there any good access points that are worth going to that are downtown? Am I better off just driving South to the 22X? I don't want any of your secret spots though!! :) I am looking on Google Maps at the "Prince's Island Park" Anyone gone there at all? I am pretty close to that area.

Anyways, I am pretty excited about moving to Calgary as it is a pretty sweet City with lots of fishing around the area. If anyone is willing to take out a Bow Newbie then give me a shout! I am going back to school (U of C) in the fall so would like to do as much fishing as possible in August.

One more thing, I have a TFO 5wt and use that on the Crow and it works fine but these pictures I am seeing of the Bow Trout look like they might just laugh at me and break my rod! Should I be thinking about using my 8wt setup more often?

Thanks guys!!

Stephen

Stephen,

There are a few holes around Prince's Island but way better places to fish on the lower (Calgary) section in and arouund Fish Creek.

Drop me a PM when you get to town and if I'm available I can show you a few spots.

Cheers,

Peter

Hey Guys,

I am moving to Calgary in August and will be living downtown pretty close to the Bow. Last time I went through there a couple weeks ago the water looked pretty high through town. Is there any good access points that are worth going to that are downtown? Am I better off just driving South to the 22X? I don't want any of your secret spots though!! :) I am looking on Google Maps at the "Prince's Island Park" Anyone gone there at all? I am pretty close to that area.

Anyways, I am pretty excited about moving to Calgary as it is a pretty sweet City with lots of fishing around the area. If anyone is willing to take out a Bow Newbie then give me a shout! I am going back to school (U of C) in the fall so would like to do as much fishing as possible in August.

One more thing, I have a TFO 5wt and use that on the Crow and it works fine but these pictures I am seeing of the Bow Trout look like they might just laugh at me and break my rod! Should I be thinking about using my 8wt setup more often?

Thanks guys!!

Stephen

5wt is plenty. I often use my 3wt TFO; as long as I'm not tossing big streamers or heavily weighted 3-nymph rigs, it's fine.

Only problem I find with the 3wt is that it can be a pain in the ass to mend, 'cuz the rod is only 7.5 feet. I've landed a

fat'n'sassy 24" brown on it, no problem.

Later,

Steve

Lots of good water DT. Maybe just go for a bike ride and check things out first. I would stay away from any water near the drop in centre as I have been hasseled by some of the not so kind folk that hang out that way but if you head west towards Edworthy park the runs are great up that way. Also I fish my 5wt on the Bow all the time.