Fly Fusion Forums

Need A New Reel

Hey, my reel crapped out on me (it was a cheap and not made very well anyway) and I'm looking for a good light weight reel preferably in the $50 to $100 dollar range. I don't mind spending a bit more but all I need is light reliable reel.

(It would be good if it could hold a fair amount of line & backing)

Any recommendations?

i picked up a reel the other day at springbrook when i was picking up a new rod.

it was 75$ its has center drag. the guy in there told me they were shiped there by accident.

its made by the people that make redingtons reels. and is supposed to sell for 150 area.

not to sure how its going to hold up, ive fished it maybe 6 or 7 times since i picked it up.

it has no noise when you reel it in so you can just spin it and pick up line in a hurry.

im very happy with it so far and the guy said it should do me good. i looked it over and it looks very well built.

right now it has 150yrds of backing and my line. it could easily fit another 100yrds maybe more.

you might want to check it out

What weight are you looking for?

I have a Lamson LP1.5 here that I don't fish anymore since I got addicted to Nautilus reels. It's a bombproof, lightweight, nice little reel with good drag and I even have an extra spool for it.

I have spent way too much time researching fly gear latley, I am a total gear head. For my budget- around 120, the Pfluger Trion and the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor seem to best the best bang for the buck. The Orvis reels have recently gotten alot cheaper thanks to the dollar and new pricing from Orvis. I recently bought the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor for my new sinking line and so far have been loving it, i've had the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor for a few years for my floating 6 line and have been very happy with it, but am going to get another Battenkill Mid Arbor for my new stream 4 weight rig. 3 of my fishing buddies have the Pfluger Trion and have liked that one too.

tigershark. If you look around on ebay you can pick up the pflueger president reels for about $120 shipped. I have bought about 4 of them so far and really like them. Nice drag system on them for the price. Also owned a trion as my first real and liked it. Just upgraded to the larger arbour president because they weren't much more money. I have used the president in a 5 wt and caught some decent sized trout on it with no problems. Also used the 7wt president for pike and walleye and the drag worked really good for the pike. I also have a 5wt large arbour battenkill that I don't really like. The drag doesn't seem to be as adjustable and they feel like they are a cheaper made reel. I think they have changed they drag system on their newer model so I can't speak for it. just my 2 cents

I'd have to say go with the SLV as well ($65.00 at Wholesale Sports). Best bang for your buck

I have a couple of them that have landed pretty decent fish, both in the river and lake fishing in BC.

The drag has never let me down and they're relatively light weight.

Never had a problem with them.

My $.02

BK