Fly Fusion Forums

Flying Ants

Just thought I would take the time to mention these insects as they are currently out in force in my area. These ants sometimes can be a huge terrestrial hatch that sometimes does not get noticed by many anglers. The ants around canmore at the moment are quite large a size 8-10 dry fly hook although some appear they could pass as a 6 and I have seen them smaller as well at times. It is very likely that regardless of the area you are in these insect will make an appearance soon or in the coming month and could be the ticket for success especially when the very large ones are around..... alas I am stuck at work and cannot go out and fish some. None the less like many ants they often (but not always) work better fished without floatant or very lightly ginked but the flying ants do seem to be a bit more capable of staying afloat then the wingless variety. The ones here at the moment have a body that is dark brown-black 3 segments. Wings are a transparent rusty red and extend past the body and sit almost caddis style when they are on the ground. I believe and correct me if I am wrong these ants do not actually land on the water on purpose and therefore should be fished at times when they are very abundant or in windy conditions as both situations could cause enough of them to end up in the water to turn the fish onto them. The flightless variety are likely around as well and work well fished close to the banks when its windy...... I also sometimes fish an ant as part of a nymph rig when they are very abundant and have taken fish doing so. If anyone wants to chime in with any other usefull info about flying ants or ants in general feel free to do so.

A size 10 red flying and is my go-to fly on the Oldman and Highwood all summer. I have one that has probably caught 100 cutts, it's just a big red blob now, and it's still deadly. When flying ants are falling on the water, they can do it in HUGE numbers, and things can quickly become a frenzy.

Terrestrials rule! Ever catch lakers on a dry? Well, Lonefisher, there is a small pond near your town full of smaller lakers that will feed off the surface on a flying ant invasion. Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!