Fly Fusion Forums

Tfo Ticrx #7 Scandi Line Or Grain Weight

DutchDryfly

Well after seeing me use the DH rod in Austria, a friend wants to try this DH stuff also.

Before investing in a new rod, he bought the conversion kit for the TFO TICRX 7-weight he already owns.

Only problem now is that we have no clue what scandi line this rod would handle.

I am guessing something in the 400 grains but am not sure.

So if you have an idea of grain weight or recommendation for a line please feel free to post.

And yes, I tried search google first but no luck for Scandi lines. All that is talked about for this rod are Skagit lines.

Rob

the conversion kit from tfo is for double overhand casting.. not to burst your bubble. but i had a few friuends looking into this kit and it seemed she dotn spey cast all too great. i could check out some "switch" lines.. beulah makes one in teh elixer series.. rio makes some afs heads as low as 320 i believe maybe 340.. still may be a littl too heavy.... back too the double overhand conversion kit.. i could see it twisting on you a bit but taping the ferrals would eliminate that...good luck on your search for a line too match the rod.. but ive bin loving the beulah elixer for my 11'2" 7wt loop opti switch( i mean one/double hander), thinking about going too a loop custom head in the future... so i can chop it back and get it perfect!

What about trying a Loop Opti or Multi single hand line on it? I use them on my single hand rods to do double spey and snap t casts all the time. They have shorter heads and bigger bellies than most single handed lines with a colour change between the head and running line so you know how far to strip it in before casting. If your friend decides double handed rods and spey casting aren't for him, the lines still work great for overhead casting so he won't have wasted his money.

Thanks guys, I will forward your recommendations.

I also got a reply from TFO and they said use the Outbound #10 for overhead or any speyline between 425 up to 500 grains.

An AFS 7/8 comes in at 460 grains so that should work.

Max, I know this extension was made for Surf Casting but it is possible, actually it is quite easy, to use it with a Scandi line.

And before spending too much on something he does not like, the conversion will work.

I tried it with my Elixir, I totally agree with you that this is one fine line, but at 295 grains it was too light.

I can get it out and at reasonable distances but there is no feel of loading.

Rob

PS: For the next 4 weeks you will not hear me, as I am off to Norway and Sweden to do some fishing. And yes, I will use the Gary Anderson 1193-5 and post a tripreport when I am back. :whoot:

Hey Max is that #7 opti you speak of current in the loop line?

Why re-invent the wheel....MAX...are you using the 5/6 Switch Elixir Line? The grain windows for these rods are fairly large ...

If you want something of a more Skagit style you mightalso consider the new Beulah Tonic lines....but for pure fishing pleasure the Elixirs are hard to beat...

Hope fishing is getting better

C

Rob,

I would consider an 8/9 Vision Ace DH floating head, 29g @ 10.7m. Cut the line (from the rear of the head) back too 2.5x rod lengths and add an appropriate polyleader (3m-5m).

The Vision Ace DH line will Spey cast, Overhead cast, Roll cast very nicely and you can use all types of Polyleaders from floating to super fast sink rate. They are currently my favorite Scandi line.

Vision Ace lines are also available in shorter lengths for casting large/weighted flies.

http://www.visionflyfishing.com/page.php?p...=32&pid=128

Best of luck to you and your colleagues on your fishing holidays. Take lots of photo's/vids to show us.

Hey Max is that #7 opti you speak of current in the loop line?

nope sorry dude... was a older model....

courtney i like too play! re inventing the wheel aka chopping lines is all apart of the fun. and yes i am using the 5/6 switch for my loop but just want too run something different for kicks..... playing around with your gear is what its all about and helps you understand everything alot more IMHO.... i took taht other elixer line i had for the switch teh 6/7 or 7/8 wichever it was and made a short 16foot compact mini mini skagit for a 9ft 6wt single hander of mine.. is hilarious too toss.... turns over some mega streamers too with the flick of the wrist..... fishign has bin stellar hear aswell.. hans really tapered off IMHO.... i like muddy water.. but she is clearing up and the dryfly fishign is soon too begin!

goodluck rob and looking forward too reading your post and checkin your pics from you travels!

Max....

Boys like to play indeed..no matter what our age we always play...you will love the new Tonic lines...short heads about 24',able to pick up Sink Tips of any weight and toss big flies yet able to be adjusted to deliver dry flies...

Many West Coast fishers are beginning to get the picture about using the Beulah Elixir Lines on single handers...as are our Ontario cousins. We will soon be able to get the Elixir and Tonic heads as well...should be a blast to play with.../

It never changes..but there are just more of us doing it!