Fly Fusion Forums

Edson Fishing.....

Im stuck up here for the next few days. Im very close to sundance provincial park. I'm going to streamer fish the Athabasca. Anyone have any other recommendations? I brought my entire fleet of flies so im pretty sure I have at least one of everything, but I could just streamer fish the entire time. Hopin to get a trophy grayling or bull.

Well you're dreaming on the grayling score, but you might get a bull. Go to Millers, west of town 10mins. Should be fishing well right now. Depending on time and gas, Silkstone and Lovett lakes are worth seeing. South on 40 about 30-40mins. 2km hike in. Any trickle with water in it that crosses 40 will have brookies.

"Dreaming on the grayling score"???

I used to work at Edson West Gas Plant and I spent every evening catch piles of grayling. The Embarass river still holds the provincial record for grayling. And the Erith is probably the best river for catching a McLeod river rainbow. Also the C&R regs that have been in place for quite a few years means the number and size of the fish can be decent. The stoneflies should be coming out on the Embarass soonish, and the fish are more than willing to take a dry. I have caught some nice size grayling there. Access to these two rivers isn't that easy, but it means the fishing is better if you put in the effort, and the Embarass does come along HWY 40 in the middle and upper reaches. The Erith is harder.

The easiest bet for Grayling is right in Sundance creek. In the prov park the creek is bushy and casting can be tough, but the fish are willing and there even a few browns in there. The easiest place to catch a grayling is where HWY 40 crosses sundance, south of HWY 16. It's not a nice fishing spot as it is right on the hwy and gets fished often, but there are plenty of Grayling and some good hatches in this section.

The McLeod is also a decent river, but I generally stay away because the access to it is too easy. I have never fished there without running into ATVs, bait packages or the like.

Emerson Lake has good fishing for brookies.

Keith:

I think you maybe got your apples with your oranges. I think - perhaps I'm mistaken - that Tako was specifically referring to catching Grayling on streamers while fishing the Athabasca mainstem, as an incidental catch to Bullies.

Thanks for the tips though - I've been fishing the area for 20 yrs - mostly north of Hinton - and my favorite rainbow stream is now a lost cause due to habitat degradation. Been looking for new spots.

Smitty

Yeah, didn't mean to say there's no grayling. But thinking you'll find one over a pound this time of year is stretching it. The Embarass fishes alright, but not spectacular, and is probably dirty right now. It's really prone to storm runoff. The Pembina is far better fishing, but a longer drive. Play in the Mcleod, it's more forgiving

Keith:

I think you maybe got your apples with your oranges. I think - perhaps I'm mistaken - that Tako was specifically referring to catching Grayling on streamers while fishing the Athabasca mainstem, as an incidental catch to Bullies.

Thanks for the tips though - I've been fishing the area for 20 yrs - mostly north of Hinton - and my favorite rainbow stream is now a lost cause due to habitat degradation. Been looking for new spots.

Smitty

PM incoming