Fly Fusion Forums

Flow Rates- Floating The Bow

Other than the weirs, there aren't a lot of hazards on the Bow. If the water is up in the trees there is more risk of strainers, etc. but for the most part flow level doesn't greatly affect the safety of the river. Just stay away from the weirs.

Guest rusty

I've floated in the 'toons when the flow was 240 in Calgary and it was fine. Things can get messy in a hurry at that speed so pay attention, ship the rod when in doubt and keep your feet up.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear a lifejacket and keep your head up.

Anything under 200 in Calgary should be a non-issue, but people have got into trouble at any flow rate.

flyslinger - there are lots of places on the Bow where the current piles into trees and other places that wouldn't be fun to wind up. I believe someone had to get rescued right near North Bow Lodge during the flood year.

LOTS of people get in trouble in that back channel across from the Lodge (and lots of other places), yours truly included, I had a noob on the oars last season (river wasn't even high..August i believe) and i was busy untangling before i knew what was going one we were under a sweeper and nearly drowned, waders full the whole nine yards..scarey...if you want to fish the back channels, walk in is my advice, always wear a PFD and ... NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE BOW...the weirs are an obvious danger but to say they are the only hazard could'nt be further from the truth no matter what the water level..I floated the lower Bow some 50 + times before it happed to me...but I was complaceant and let a rookie row..he "floated" the Bow lots..through downtown with a six pack is a totally different story....becareful out there...

Conor : I'll be back from the east coast on the 16th I'll float down with you on the 18-19 if you want to show you the ropes..

Conor : I'll be back from the east coast on the 16th I'll float down with you on the 18-19 if you want to show you the ropes..

Guys,

I have a new 'toon as well and am looking for someone to float with. If you are interested, the 18 or 19th could work for me, I think.