Fly Fusion Forums

Mom The White Mallard?

This Mom was photographed down at the local pond. I would say it is a white Mallard based on the features and offspring. Anyone know if these are somewhat common or an unusual find?

A local resident mentioned Alberta Environment has been to the pond to look at the duck.

IMGP0624.jpgIMGP0665.jpg

IMGP0679.jpgIMGP0691.jpg

Cool pictures Weedy.

Definitely a rarity of nature. It is a melanistic duck (and the gene appears recessive). I for one couldn't help you with the ID due to the lack of characteristics in the feathers to use. Mallard would be a good guess based on the size of the bird and shape of the bill. You may have to wait until the little ones go through their first molt to see what lurks behind the mask of white.

I had a discussion with some of the locals last night. The duck was born on the lake 3 years ago. It was the only oddity of the newborns and was hand fed by one of the residents for the first year. It has been back to the same pond every year since. (Why not when you get fed a loaf of bread every night?)

A couple of the residents say it is a leucistic (reduced pigmentation) Mallard duck.