Fly Fusion Forums

New To Hand Crafted Bugs!

agbff

Hey guys,

I have just recently started fly fishing and I would really like to get into the tying side of things aswell. How much would it cost to get this hobby off the ground? Would you guys recommend a starters kit or buying seperate items? When tying your own flies, is it more or less expensive then buying tied flies?

Thanks alot,

andy

Take lessons thru a flyshop - saves aggravation and time. You'll learn some basic patterns and techniques. They'll often supply a starter kit - think of it like drug dealers providing free samples. :o

It's more expensive and when you're starting out the quality of your flies will suck. It takes a lot of volume to make hand ties cost effective. One way may be to stick to a small variety of proven patterns to limit material purchases but what's the fun in that.

There is no 12 step program or support group to help you stop once you get started. ;)

There are a lot of pluses to rolling your own.

Its amazing how many of my "go to" flies are flies you can't buy (or are very hard to find locally). You don't have to worry about shops being out of stock, etc. You can weight them to your liking. You can show fish something they're not used to seeing. You can make them more durable then what you buy. When you're catching fish and your "pruchasing" buddy isn't, you can tease the hell out of him.

I can go on.

The advice to start slow to see if you like it is a good one. If you do, then you will shortly have enough flies/material to cross over the red into the black ($). I'm at the point where my tying is saving me money, without a doubt. But it takes time and you have to enjoy it, otherwise, just buy them.