Fly Fusion Forums

Innisfail, Alberta, Little Red Deer River??

Just wondering how the fishing is in the Little red, at Innisfail?? I will be visiting Drumheller and Innisfail on June 28, 29, 30th and wondering how the fishing is in the Red Deer river at Drumheller and the little red at Innisfail as well as the little lakes at Innisfail?. I live in Athabasca so I don't get down that way very often, and this is my first visit to this great board. We are used to catching Pike and Walleye up here in Athabasca, I was wondering if there is a good Brown Trout Hole close to Innisfail and or Drumheller??

Just wondering how the fishing is in the Little red, at Innisfail?? I will be visiting Drumheller and Innisfail on June 28, 29, 30th and wondering how the fishing is in the Red Deer river at Drumheller and the little red at Innisfail as well as the little lakes at Innisfail?. I live in Athabasca so I don't get down that way very often, and this is my first visit to this great board. We are used to catching Pike and Walleye up here in Athabasca, I was wondering if there is a good Brown Trout Hole close to Innisfail and or Drumheller??

there is some nice fishing just west out of the town of innisfail. just turn right after the bridge, drive down to the river and walk north until you get to the Island. Cross over to the Island and fish on the right hand side or the east side of the Island...have fun but do not attach the water as these trout are very very sly!

The river at Innisfail is the Red Deer. The Little Red Deer joins the main river about 20 miles west of Innisfail, about 6 miles below the Dickson dam. If it's not blown out when you come, there are some big browns, although not a lot of them in the Red Deer, as well as lots of goldeye, pike and walleye. The lower stretchs of the Little Red Deer are mostly pike with the trout being in the middle and upper reaches. There is lots of other good trout water west of Innisfail. Barry Mitchell covers most of them in "The Trout Highway". Have fun.

Thanks for the tips, I love river fishing, I have spent hours and hours on the Kootenay river near Canal Flats in BC, there are several places there where you can catch huge bull trout 20lb being the bigest fish I have managed to land there. And the RMW and the Cutthroats are abundant there also. I went on a float trip with Barry White one summer down the Bow River. However this will be my first shot at the Red Deer and the Little Red Deer rivers. I hope the rain cuts back and the river frees up enough for us. My specialty is hammering Northern Pike on flys up here in the Athabasca area ha ha I know that sounds funny but Pike are amazing on the fly and I love it.

Thanks again for the help,

Gary