Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Rods Breaking

Hey all.

I've seen several posts over the past few months (and talked with members) about Fly Rods breaking. For all appearances it looks like the trend is swinging upward. So I decided to ask the forum to share how they are breaking their rods.

Three weeks ago I busted my 6wt St. Croix Legend Ultra on the upper Bow. There are better rods out there, but this one has a lot of sentimental value to me. I lost my footing scurrying up a bank and fell back into the river. To be truthful, at first - I was more concerned about my DSLR that followed me into the water. I didn't notice that the rod was broken until Boomer and I were walking back to the van.

Now that I think about it, I haven't been doing too bad. That was the first rod that I've broken in 20 years!

So, time to fess up. What's everyone else's sad story?

Tight Lines!

CS.

well for me it was the automatic door on the van. tfo fixed no problem, for my son it was the back door of the van Fish tales did a bang up job getting it sent off quick to sage for repair.

so both cases were acts of stupidity

only one i have broken was on a dock tie. put the rod down and i guess when i grabbed it clipped the metal shank. but it i was my first crappy tire combo wood rod that i started with so no big loss. actually it's a good thing. i think i broke another one but to honest i have no idea where it went or what happened to it... it was the 2nd rod again walmart combo special.

the good rods remain safe

i'm hard on gear

I used to break rods until a few years back I started being a lot more careful to prevent scratchs and nicks. A scratch becomes a weak spot on the rod. I never lie my rod on rocks and use a good case to carry and store my rods. No breaks since....

Broke a 490SP+ at Bullshead a month ago when the snowbank collapsed and a buddy fell on it. Broke a beauty custom 890VPS out of the blue a week later - must have nicked it at some point. Sage had them both back in my hands in under 3 weeks.

I managed to break my Bloke XL50 6 weight with a Copper Joe. I was river fishing and using a Copper Joe and it hit the top section, did not break then and I thought nothing about it. Went lake fishing and on the 3rd fish it snapped the top section between eyes as I was landing the fish. Waiting on a warranty replacement and will be no longer using Copper Joes!

Break01a.jpg

Broke my Orivs TLS a couple weeks back at bullshead. A fish got away from me before I got the hook out, and it knocked my rod onto the rocks. The wait time at Orivs is 12-14 weeks right now, so it looks like I might be needing another rod. Anybody have any comments on the Sage VT2?

Broke my Orivs TLS a couple weeks back at bullshead. A fish got away from me before I got the hook out, and it knocked my rod onto the rocks. The wait time at Orivs is 12-14 weeks right now, so it looks like I might be needing another rod. Anybody have any comments on the Sage VT2?

I bought a VT2 a couple of weeks ago (to replace my St. Croix Legend Ultra) and I love it! There is a specific reason for that. I have tendinitis, and found that I can fish all day with the Medium-Fast action of the Legend Ultra rod - and still not blow out my elbow. When I started testing out replacement rods, I found a lot of them were way too fast for my liking. I found the Medium action of the VT2, easy on the elbow - yet still had the backbone to easily pickup conehead streamers on 15' fast sinking salmon leaders. That, and the price point - was enough for me.

As an aside, Dave Blair convinced me to go with the fighting butt on the 6wt. I haven't looked back since I caught my first decent Bully with it :)

I hope this helps.

CS.