Fly Fusion Forums

A Grand Day Out

albannachxcuileag

"Go Fishing"

"What?"

"You heard me, go fishing, I want to get the house cleaned"

VROOOOOOOM!

So, I took myself off to Rathcon, amazed at the generosity bestowed upon me by the missus, she

must be after something expensive in retaliation I think!

I had a great day out apart from not getting my strike correct when fishing dries for some reason

and lost a lot of fish that should have been in the net but never mind, there was better to come as I

switched over to nymphs and immediately landed this little fellow.

Kyped.jpg

I was surprised to see such a well developed kype on a fish of about 3lbs, he was a real fighter too.

I got a visit from the resident cob who was wondering what all the splashing was about - the photo

turned out better than it looked in the view finder and I am quite chuffed with it.

Reflection.jpg

Looking to the right of this photo you can see the willow that I station myself next to for the sedge

bonanza that starts around 9 - 9:30.

Picturesque01.jpg

Normally the Great Red Sedge does not appear until dusk but this chappy must have set his alarm clock

wrong as he climbed out onto the reeds right next to me.

Madeittoshore.jpg

Sedge01.jpg

Sedge02.jpg

When dusk fell it was time to tie on the deer hair and start twitching and this was one of the greedy

feckers that came up for it.

Netted02.jpg

He was joined a little while later by his bigger brother who decided to take me out to the backing and

perform some spectacular aerobatics coming out of the water about 3 feet in the air.

Netted.jpg

He really knackered my sedge and it was so dark I was lucky to change the tippet and tie on a new one

and manage to get one more to the net to finish the day in grand style by being able to tick off every

weight box in the returns book!

A day to ponder over later.

Nice job Al! Gorgeous fish.

Can you get your wife to call my wife and teach her the following two phrases:

"Go Fishing" as opposed to "Going fishing AGAIN?"

and "I want to get the house cleaned" as opposed to "put the damn rod down, get in here and help me clean this house."

Thanks for the report & photos, Albannach; nice to see that you actually get to fish some of those flies that you tie!

Just a word of warning about posting locations, etc., on a fishing forum; don't be surprised if tomorrow at 9-9:30

there are 27 guys from Calgary lined up next to your willow tree, casting sedge patterns! :o:o:o

(Before anyone points out that those fish are on the other side of the Atlantic.....I already know; 'twas a joke. :P )

Rob,

Rathcon is run different from most fisheries across here. The general pellet pig factories where they truck them in and you haul them out, you can just turn up, pay your money and throw any crap and be guaranteed to catch.

Rathcon is spread by word of mouth and has to be pre-booked before you can fish. The quality of fish in the lake are superb to say the least. These are hand selected and are kept in a holding pond where they are conditioned before being trickle stocked to the lake. Fish kill is not practised by most anglers at Rathcon, unlike the 'pig farms', preferring catch and release although you are allowed one for the pot if you so desire.

The fighting quality of the fish is incredible, I have had a 3lber take me 20 yards into the backing on a screaming run and fought like hell to get him into the net. Unlike the 'pig farms' that don't give a sh*t about quality but only the money, Rathcon fish are fully finned, fighting fit and grow on at an alarming rate due to the abundance of feeding in the lake. The larger of the fish in the photos was a conservative 10lbs but there are fish that are rarely netted that almost make the 20lb mark and if you get one of these on then be prepared to start sweating, feel like your arms are going to drop off and hope that you really did tie those knots properly!

I have posted before about this place but it is a Diamond in the Emerald Isle as far as fishing goes. You really have to fish for your fish and when you get days / evenings like I have had the last couple of weeks then you really appreciate them!

Any of you Calgarians who come across to Ireland, let me know and I will gladly take you to the best small lake fishery in Ireland.

TLs

Hey Al, the girl has imediate family over in Ireland and will be going down sometime, by chance you near Roscrea??(SP?) or Limerick?

Other side of the country from Limerick - head towards Dublin on the N7 / M7 and take the M9 / N9 for Killcullen and cut off for Dunlavin and you will be near enough there! Let me know when you are over and I can maybe help out