Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing The Bank

Brookie

It is often said that walk and wade fishermen walk through some of the best water along the bank when fishing rivers. Downstream casting is one method to avoid disturbing the fish. What other methods work well without walking into the river?

If you are IN the river, targeting fish downstream close to the banks is tough, chances are you'll spook them before you can present to them..stay on the banks and as far back as you can..you can get in the river downstream and present up stream casts as you slowly wade upstream (the river will wash your "presence" away), this is a little more difficult with a weighted rig as alot of the time your casting over or right on top of the fish, this method is invaluable for fishing smaller creeks where the water is low and the fish spook easliy. Another good method to use would be high sticking or short line nymphing, best used in deeper runs close to shore..stay low and lob a short line, (usually with a heavy rig to get down quickly) mend with your rod tip raising it as you rig drifts closer, keeping very little slack in your line so you can feel the strike (you can use an indie but personally I find it much less effective) .. these are the techniques I use close to the banks, this time of year visual stealth is not quite as important but its not a bad idea to practice anyway to keep good habits..remember to step lightly as not to spook the fish..they can "hear" (more like feel) you long before you get close..STAY OUT OF THE RIVER DURING HIGH WATER ITS DANGEROUS!!!!! you don;t need to be in there anyway..

highsticking and or czech nymphing can be an effective short range method of fishing in tight too the banks... also look up "upstream nymphing wich can help fishing pockets, riffles and slack water with fast water seams close too shore... fishing streamers up or downstream too canb be quite effective this time of year aswell. hopper dropper can also be effective too fish in tight when fish are rising or taking terrestrials off the banks.

like brownstone said fishing by standing on the banks oir just in teh water is usually oyur best bet.. it can be worth while too fish all the water close too shore before wading out any time of year... fish arnt always out in teh middle were we usually dream of.. sometimes i think most people like too just use there awders too the maximum levels because that is what they were "designed" for ;)

Agree with Max and Brownstone.........

I'd say 95% of all my largest catches in the Bow, have come less than 5 feet from a bank or shore. Especially this time of year. I start (in muddy water) with an indicator and a two nymph rig, one nymph at 1 foot deep, and the other at 2 feet deep, and I fish this one foot or less away from the bank. Basically, when the Bow is at this flow (250+) there's a very small slack edge to it, but if you stay in that, your in the fish. Just one foot or less off the banks, and 2 feet to your deepest nymph. trust me. You'd be suprised to find out whats there! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh, and that's for MUD water. Once the vis goes to 2-3 feet, go about 5 feet off the bank at a depth of approx 3-5ft...

When downstream streamer fishing, how do you do it? Cast 45 degrees, let it swing, wait a bit and then start stripping it back upstream? I don't streamer fish much but will have to start giving it a try.

BTW, thanks for sharing your methods. It separates you from anglers who keep "their" secrets to themselves so they can be the "experts".

When downstream streamer fishing, how do you do it? Cast 45 degrees, let it swing, wait a bit and then start stripping it back upstream? I don't streamer fish much but will have to start giving it a try.

BTW, thanks for sharing your methods. It separates you from anglers who keep "their" secrets to themselves so they can be the "experts".

I usually start by casting straight across to let my streamer get down and mend a few times during the swing. From there I can adjust the depth by casting further upstream to let it get down deeper or cast downstream so it doesn't have as much time to sink. All depends on if you're fishing a sink tip line, weighted streamers, etc. I always wait a couple of seconds at the bottom of the swing before I start stripping it in. Most of my takes have either been on the dangle or the first strip, although I've had the occasional hit during the swing.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr, if the water is still muck, put a black egg sucking leech, about 2 feet under an indicator, and nymph it (might need some split). work it VERY tight to the bank casting up and letting it go right past your feet basically (you should be on shore and not wading I assume). Now when it's at the last of your drift, let it dangle in the current for a few seconds before flip casting it back up again. I've had really good success like this too. ;)