Fly Fusion Forums

Tip To Leader Connections

headscan

Thought I'd start a topic that wasn't an advertisement...

What's everyone using to connect skagit tips to mono? I was using an albright knot but had one fail yesterday on a snag. I would've expected the knot at the fly to fail before the albright, so I'm not sure if it just wasn't tied properly. The setup was an albright knot to the tip using 20lb maxima with a perfection loop at the other end, then loop to a foot or two of 10lb maxima to the fly. Should I try using something lighter than 20lb maxima or is there a better way?

Guest bigbadbrent
Thought I'd start a topic that wasn't an advertisement...

bahahahaha

Are you talking Sink Tips?

I make loops in my tips, fold them back and do at least one nail knot (usually 2) with 25lb...I used to do the nail knot straight on with 25 lb, and make a butt section with a loop, but found it hinges more, and is more likely to slip off

Then make a loop on your leader, since you're using tips anyway you don't need to taper it and just loop to loop it.

Yeah, the Rio 15ft sink tips like the one I picked up from you guys yesterday.

I make loops like the ones you described on the ends of my fly lines that don't have the welded loops but I wasn't sure how well it would work with the thinner diameter of the tips. How do you manage to tie nail knots with 25lb mono? I have enough trouble tying them with 10lb, though I suck at nail knots (even with a tie-fast tool).

I'm wondering what the break strength of those tips are. It looks as though the tip broke fairly cleanly just above the knot. I imagine it would be higher than 10lbs, though. Maybe I nicked the tip while I was fishing or when I was tying on the mono...

Guest bigbadbrent

I had the same problem as you when i was using faster sink tips (T6-T14 is a bitch to tie knots on), so you gotta loop it back, and use at least 2 nail knots, Use knot sense on it, or epoxy, and that thing aint breaking.

The reason i do the loops, is because tips are so thin. It's more likely that the mono/tip actually didn't break, but the mono cut into the tip and pulled the section off (the faster sinking tips are really "good" at doing this)..

I can tie nail knots with 30lb, its just that i've tied probably thousands of nail knots by now...I use a tube for when i'm doing loops, and the tie fast for just doing straight but sections.

If you're still having problems, bring it in, i'll do them for ya

i like too do what brent said but take it on teh vice and use 3/0 thread and some super glue.. makes for smooth connections. another thing i have bin using are the kevlar braided loops for the connections from my running line too shooting heads.. bin loving em.. there tough as nails and the only things i have found that fit over fat skagit and scandi heads..

a properly tied albright is a very strong knot. You can easily nail knot 20# mono to t14, in fact this how I always connect the 20# maxima to the t14 - just make sure your knot is perfect and has at least 7 wraps with no overwraps. When done properly the nail knot is pretty strong though not as strong as aan albright. I have a few tricks with the tie fast, call me at 1-888-822-3474 and I will be happy to pass them along. As for the double nail knot i think it is an ugly knot and I personally never use it.

Thanks for the info Brian. I've been using 5 wrap albright knots with a thin coat of knot sense so I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. Right now I have the end of the tip folded over with two nail knots about a quarter inch apart from each other to secure it. Btw, happy birthday!

Here's what the tip looked like which is why I thought the mono cut through the coating.

web.jpg