Fly Fusion Forums

Best Strategies For Bullshead?

I have never fished at bullshead before, nor have a ever fished a lake before. Looking for some input on best fly patterns and techniques. I have a pontoon, but from what i have read shoreline casting seems to work just fine.

I was thinking SJW, and some larger nymph patterns? but do i just leave it float or retrieve?

Maybe some streamers with a fast retrieve... Any and all input is appreciated

Guest Sundancefisher
Start with this:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/chironomids.php

Also good to have some leeches on hand to strip in or fish under an indicator, along with other streamers to strip.

Tons of other tips on the web; look up Phil Rowley or Brian Chan for a ton of info, too.

Some days anything works! I have always done well on leeches

i killed on green shrimp patterns last weekend, not a bullhead mind you, but ask the locals if there are shrimp in the lake...

cast towards/close to the reeds near water flow if possible, let it sink for a moment and use a slow strip.

the method that worked for me... manage to screw around as much as possible by answering text messages, light cigarette, talk to the guys behind, leave fly dangling about 15ft in front of you while untangling a knot, put smokes away, try to put out cigarette and pocket it with out littering, poaching your friends water in front of him to be a jackass and hope you dont catch one out of his water (i did, it worked, he did it back, worked again, we laughed our asses off and while laughing we each caught an other fish), and try to do as many at one time as possible. at some point you should have a strike but you still need line control to hook the fish.

Dude...Basic Still Water patterns, Chronies, leetches, buggers, scuds, copper johns, prince, SJW, minnow patterns,...And so on, in about that order. Keep in mind it is still spring and they like a slow presentation and or static presentation, perhaps under an Indicator with a twitch here and there...And if goin with an Indie, dont go very deep, maybe 2 1/2... 4 feet max, stick somewhat close to shore.....Have fun.. ;) ..

Cheers...Jeff..C&R..

I have never fished at bullshead before, nor have a ever fished a lake before. Looking for some input on best fly patterns and techniques. I have a pontoon, but from what i have read shoreline casting seems to work just fine.

I was thinking SJW, and some larger nymph patterns? but do i just leave it float or retrieve?

Maybe some streamers with a fast retrieve... Any and all input is appreciated

bullshead was hot and heavy yesterday afternoon on chronies and didn't seem to matter what color they were takin em all, insane action most were in 18" and bigger, had 2 monsters break me off

Dude...Basic Still Water patterns, Chronies, leetches, buggers, scuds, copper johns, prince, SJW, minnow patterns,...And so on, in about that order. Keep in mind it is still spring and they like a slow presentation and or static presentation, perhaps under an Indicator with a twitch here and there...And if goin with an Indie, dont go very deep, maybe 2 1/2... 4 feet max, stick somewhat close to shore.....Have fun.. ;) ..

Cheers...Jeff..C&R..

yup that's it...it's starting to be chronie season :)

Thanks for the Input.

I did really well last weekend.. maybe 15-18 fish in about 6 hours.... there are a lot of big fish in the lake as well and FAT! Basically everything i tried seemed to produce a fish.. with the exception of the SJW.. which is odd. I even added a dry fly below my nymph and that seemed to work!

Seems like this lake would be good to take beginners to learn.