Fly Fusion Forums

Police Outpost

Taken from another forum:

"Nice pics i was camped there with a bunch of friends all weekend too. i am happy we wernt to loud for you out there, i found a fly rod on the road when i was leaving there PM me if someone lost it, i dident get to fish myself but i took some of the girls out on the lake to see them catch there first fish

there was also alot of people catching and still keeping undersized fish out there and useing bait talked to one of the many CO's out there and was told that for whatever reasone they wernt cracking down on it this weekend?"

I guess all those new signs are not big and bold enough

Guest tallieho

I am very very very sad to hear that about a co,i'm sure that they or others on this board will make a call to confirm . sure hope it isn't true

Thanks for the heads up..........I have sent a copy of this post along with a note to the Parks official in charge of Police Lake Provincial Park..........I know Parks are concerned about "confrontation" but I sure hope they are doing their job and making sure that those breaking the rules are getting written warnings if not tickets........ :(

Sad but i think it will always be a problem. Fished Bullshead last week, walked from the parking lot down the north side half way down the lake. Counted three minnow tubs, 2 night crawler packages and there were power bait stains in a couple of spots. Anyone every see the CO's go any further than the start of the dam?

Looks like things are going more or less as they should........We still need ANGLERS to keep an eye on it an report infractions.......... :mellow:

Hi Al,

It’s an interesting comment. I like the fact that this person talked to “one of the many CO’s”, particularly since I only had resources available to assign two officers to that part of the District this past weekend. At least they were visible.

You can rest assured that officers have been assigned to patrol Police Lake on a regular basis, and that enforcement of the regulations is happening. When the officers observe a violation, it is acted upon, and not ignored. That said, officers are not going to be on site 24/7, and do rely on the public to report violations. Currently we are investigating one such report from this past weekend. As of May 18, Conservation Officers have instigated eight Enforcement Actions at Police Lake pursuant to the Alberta Fisheries Regulation. Most of these have involved fishing with bait.

Thanks for your interest in this; please contact me if you have any further questions.

George Yanicki

District Conservation Officer

Lethbridge District

problem with police is there is no cell phone reception.

Just get whatever information you can - personal descriptions, time of day, vehicle make and description, vehicle lic. #, etc., and call it in when you leave the park. Call Report-a-poacher at 1-800-642-3800, and be sure to mention that the incident happened in a Provincial Park. Control Centre will contact the appropriate officer, and you may be eligible for a reward (help pay for that expensive fuel to get there).