Fly Fusion Forums

Spying On Cutts

fishfreak

I went for a hike on Saturday and came across some big cutts in some moving water. It was almost as satisfying spying on these gorgeous fish as it was to catch them myself, as I was as close as 2 feet from some of them. Too bad this area is currently closed to fishing, but I'll definitely be back once it opens up. I saw about 30 cutts ranging from 14" - 18" all in one stretch.

I have yet to set foot on a stream this season, and it's driving me crazy...

Anyway, for you fish voyeurs out there:

June2007020.jpg

June2007019.jpg

June2007018.jpg

June2007017.jpg

Sweet! I've personally whiled away a lot of time watching fish feed; sometimes prior to starting to fish for 'em,

sometimes after trying every fly in my box with no takers- then you can either get frustrated, or just sit back &

enjoy the show.Love the topwater feeding, but it's also pretty cool watching a trout feed near the bottom. Amazing

how little energy they seem to expend to feed.

This area opens July 15. These fish didn't seem too spooked. Once they saw me, they swam away, but then came back 5 seconds later.... not too bright. Thankfully this area is catch and release, otherwise these fish would be gone pretty quick.

I remember coming back from the teahouse hike at Lake Louise, and near the parking lot, where the lake dumps into a creek, I saw 5 brookies rising. It was the neatest thing, but nobody noticed until I pointed it out.

Can't wait to fish sometime soon...

This area opens July 15. These fish didn't seem too spooked. Once they saw me, they swam away, but then came back 5 seconds later.... not too bright. Thankfully this area is catch and release, otherwise these fish would be gone pretty quick.

I remember coming back from the teahouse hike at Lake Louise, and near the parking lot, where the lake dumps into a creek, I saw 5 brookies rising. It was the neatest thing, but nobody noticed until I pointed it out.

Can't wait to fish sometime soon...

Watch out for moose if you're going where I think you're going. The bears will go around, but the momma moose that lives in the brookie haven isn't overly friendly.

I'll be in Waterton on Sunday if you want the inside scoop! ;)

Nice! Cutties don't spook too easily I find. I watched one rise like a dozen times about 2 feet away from me. First cast I had him on. I'm sure he could see me. Bright sunny day, crystal clear water, and only 2 feet away and I was in the water. I'm sure he's a bit smarted now though.