Fly Fusion Forums

Brook Trout At Bullshead

caught a 16" brookie at bullshead the other day have pic on cellphone but don't know how to transfer on computer, anyway has anyone else caught any brookies also caught some that really resembled a cross between a brown and rainbow

send a multimedia message from your phone to a email adderess then it should be ther eon your computer. Or so no one calls you bullshit take a picture of your cell phone with a real camera and post it haha wont be good quality but it'll be interesting to see thats forsure.

cool..quite possible there was a brookie in the stock .. as for the cross between a brown and rainbow..don't think they can interbreed..but browns can breed with brookies I think..very interesting

I'm pretty new to all this but I don't think a Rainbow interbreeds with Brookies or Browns since the first spawns in the spring and the others in the fall? As for Brookies and Browns interbreeding, hasn't that been done and named a Tiger Trout?

Guest Sundancefisher
I'm pretty new to all this but I don't think a Rainbow interbreeds with Brookies or Browns since the first spawns in the spring and the others in the fall? As for Brookies and Browns interbreeding, hasn't that been done and named a Tiger Trout?

Depending upon the hatchery stock, some rainbows will try to spawn in the fall. I caught a rainbow that was milting in early September one year in the Crowsnest. That being said they do not interbreed naturally with brookies and browns. I too am curious what this fish looks like. There are some brookie creeks in the SE corner of Alberta/SW corner of Sask.

Very unlikely the brookie would be in the mix from a government hatchery. Allen Bill's had them mixed in all the time however cause you can catch brookies in the culvert and ditch right beside Elbow Springs Golf Course.

Now that he moved I am not sure it will still happen.

Now for a hijack. Anyone know if you can purchase browns for stocking in a private lake in Alberta? I know it is legal but who supplies them?

Cheers

Sun

thats what i said -

"cool..quite possible there was a brookie in the stock .. as for the cross between a brown and rainbow..don't think they can interbreed..but browns can breed with brookies I think..very interesting"

i leave ideas open with phrases such as "I think" or "don't think" as not to come off as a know it all ... guess i'll have to try harder ..

Sun - dunno where to get Browns but can get you some lovely triploid Rainbows....and with some luck some Brookies by the end of summer ..

Guest Sundancefisher
Speaking about stocking browns, where does the gov't get their stock from?

Do they have their own stock or do they sub-contract from a private hatchery?

They use Allison I believe down in the Crowsnest. Can't recall seeing any at Livingston.

caught a 16" brookie at bullshead the other day have pic on cellphone but don't know how to transfer on computer, anyway has anyone else caught any brookies also caught some that really resembled a cross between a brown and rainbow

With you catching that Brookie...That would be the 5th brookie that I have heard of being caught this spring from Bullshead...One guy I know caught one about 18 inches and he said it was around 3lbs and said it was very healthy....The people that I have talked to about these Brooks being caught said " there was no mistaking them, they were Brook trout" 2 of the people That caught the Brooks I know fairly well and they know their trout...I asked the stocking technicians about it, and they said there is no way the Brooks could get mixed in with the Bows at the hatchery...Maybe they are getting into the water systems from Spruce coulee???...There is a creek runs into B.H. at the east end of the lake...But not sure of its origin...As far as crossed lookin Bows, I havent seen any that look like that as of yet...

Cheers...Jeff..

Hi guys, would it be a good idea to have the fisheries stock maybe a thousand to two thousand brooks, just as a trial, because these sound like they are thriving, from the descriptions. There is a lake in Saskatchewan, named Pipprell Lake and it has five types of trout in it ( rainbows, splake, brown, brook, & tiger ). The lake is about the size of elkwater lake and, is dependant on run-off, what do you guys think? :)

Hello

I have caught browns at Barrier Lake that are very silvery. It only happens in the spring. Maybe they get a tan later. B) At first I thought it was a bull tout. Then I actually caught a bull - not even close in appearance.

cheers

With you catching that Brookie...That would be the 5th brookie that I have heard of being caught this spring from Bullshead...One guy I know caught one about 18 inches and he said it was around 3lbs and said it was very healthy....The people that I have talked to about these Brooks being caught said " there was no mistaking them, they were Brook trout" 2 of the people That caught the Brooks I know fairly well and they know their trout...I asked the stocking technicians about it, and they said there is no way the Brooks could get mixed in with the Bows at the hatchery...Maybe they are getting into the water systems from Spruce coulee???...There is a creek runs into B.H. at the east end of the lake...But not sure of its origin...As far as crossed lookin Bows, I havent seen any that look like that as of yet...

Cheers...Jeff..

Looks like the bucket brigade is at it again... you'd better hope none of those nitwits get the bright idea that BH could use some yellow perch.

Looks like the bucket brigade is at it again... you'd better hope none of those nitwits get the bright idea that BH could use some yellow perch.

Hard to say dude...Sure hope people are not transfering fish...(And that may be the case)...Perch would sure be a kick in the ass in B.H.!... :o ...

Cheers...Jeff..

I know there use to be brooding Brookies @ Raven, but can;t recall seeing any Browns..went to Allisononce when passing through for a tour but it was closed

Went through the Allison twice in the early eighties and I think some of the Brood stock were Brook Trout. Also was involved in some electrofishing for study purposes near the confluence of Allison Creek and the "Crow". At that time there were Brookies all the way up Allison and for about a few hundred metres or so downstream from the mouth of the river.

Went through the Allison twice in the early eighties and I think some of the Brood stock were Brook Trout. Also was involved in some electrofishing for study purposes near the confluence of Allison Creek and the "Crow". At that time there were Brookies all the way up Allison and for about a few hundred metres or so downstream from the mouth of the river.

There are brookies in the Crow (and tribs).... been there for a long time.

Allison hatchery also did have browns.