Fly Fusion Forums

Digital Cameras

So this weekend I was fooling around with one of those fancy dancy advanced digital cameras, which I think are called SLR’s (not quite sure) but you know there pretty big, usually black have different lenses etc. I took some nice photos and really enjoyed it; I’ve always liked photography (if you could call it that) with regular point and shoot digitals however I really like the amount of control with the SLR cameras. Plus I also saw some of the great shots on this site and links (Clive) that kind of inspired me to take my photographs to the next level.

So bottom line is t hat I would like to get one of those “artistic” cameras but have a low budget. The truth is although I like photography fly-fishing is my main thing and I’d rather spend most money on fishing equipment. I have no clue what the price range of these cameras are but something in the $400-$500 dollar range would be my limit. Of course if there are cheaper decent cameras I would prefer them.

Keep in mind I have ABSOLUTLEY no clue on any of the photography jargon so if you could keep explinations basic that would be good.

What sort of SLR camera would you suggest for a cheap beginner like me? Would I need to buy more lenses with the camera for different shots or could I get a universal lens that could be used for most things? Is there anything I dn’t know that I should before considering making this purchase? And where is the best place to buy one (price wise)?

Thanks

You could always looks for a second hand SLR with a basic lens. The Canon Rebel 6MP is reletively affordable now since the new 8MP / 10MP models are now out. Also the Nikon D40 is a great camera. i have used it to take some beutiful pictures. If you are buying new, you'll want to increase you budget to araound 1500. This would give you a decent beginner camera like a canon or Nikon and allow you to get a few accessories like extra batteries and tripod memory etc.

They are a lot of fun to use, and taking advantage of the manual modes will drastically improve the artistic quality of you photos.

As Taco noted you will be hard pressed to find a DSLR for $500 with a lens. The best you can expect is about $1,400...polarizer filter, two lenses (you won't be happy with one), tripod, carying case, stuff, more stuff. :)

Consider one of these (or similar models from other companies)...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/

All-in-one features with powerful zoom. I am not sure about macro capabilities (bugs, flies) but it has good telephoto power. It will take great shots (my bro has one). However, it is still a P&S with a smaller sensor which means it will get "noisy" in dark areas and at high ISO -- sensitivity. It allows some control over aperture and speed. A good camera for genera photography.

This one .... is $449 at London Drugs.

I'd go for the Nikon D40 if I were you. Like Pacres said..

Also, www.stevesdigicams.com is an excellent site for camera research. He does all the work for you.

Be careful with the D40... They have a special propriatary lense setup - you can only use AF-S Lenses on the D40, and those tend to run big bucks per lense.... well I should say you can use other Nikon lenses, but the autofocus feature only works if the lense is a AF-S model.

Here is an example : This is the lense that I do the majority of my shooting with (~$400): Nikon AF 70-300

Here is the AF-S Equivalent (~$670) : Nikon AF-S 70-300

If you are okay spending more on lenses, then the D40 would be a great camera. I've got a D70 and a D80, and love them both to death. (I have shot the Canon Digital Rebel, and the 30D - but would choose my Nikon's over either of them) I was going to buy the D40x (the 10MP one) but the autofocus lense issue really didn't sit well with me (Bought the D80 instead). Most of my photography is action sports related (Paintball tournaments, and motorcycle racing).

My other piece of advice - if you do buy a Nikon, spring the extra couple hundred and buy it in the 'kit' rather than just the body. The 18-135mm lense that comes with the kit is AMAZING! Very versatile, and generally an all around great lense, well worth the money for it.

Best of luck with your shopping. If you want to see any pics from either of my cameras, let me know, and i'll throw some up on the net somewhere :)

B