Fly Fusion Forums

Hopper Tube Fly

jonny5

Hello fishers, just had a brilliant idea. Since I don't like fishing indicators, but like nymphing shallow water with light flies, anyone ever tie up a hopper on a tube fly? Never tied a tube fly, but I think it makes sense to use a hopper as an indicator, and if it gets hits, just put a hook on. anyhow, if someone has used it, or has pics I would like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Jonny

ummm...yeah..hopper dropper, foam hopper or similar with nymph(s) underneath it .. very popular, not sure what you mean by tube fly in regards to a hopper .. i know of tube flies..i.e. a small tube with feathers tied around it, you run your line through it and tie on a hook or another fly .. mainly used for salmon or steelhead fished down and across..pretty popular with the two hander fisherman..

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you want a tube fly as an indicator? I would think a standard hopper would be a more sensible solution being the tube would have your line running through it..... how would you attach the dropper nymph? I'm curious as to how you came up with this idea.

Why would you want a tube fly as an indicator? I would think a standard hopper would be a more sensible solution being the tube would have your line running through it..... how would you attach the dropper nymph? I'm curious as to how you came up with this idea.

I like using a big foam fly instead of a corkie indicator, but the disadvantage is that a hopper dropper cannot be adjusted easily. So really, the hopper would just be an indicator... toothpick keeping it in place, no hook... if it started to get hits, then I would tie on a real hopper.

Get it? Tried it out, and it works very nicely... still like using a hopper instead of a corkie.

Jon

I can understand what your trying to achieve by having the hopper fully adjustable, but why would you want to run a hopper as an indie without a hook in it? There are ways to make your hopper (no hook) adjustable, double your line put it through the eye and around the fly..pull tight. same way you attach a thingamabobber style indie..this method won't really work with a hopper with a hook in it cause if you hook a fish on the hopper it will almost for certain break your line.