Fly Fusion Forums

2008 Western Canadian Fly Fishing Exposition

Hi All,

This may seem a little early to be announcing the dates for the 2008 Western Canadian Fly Fishing Exposition, but we have some big news!

The show has outgrown it's current facility and we are excited to announce that it is moving into a larger facility in Calgary. The 2008 exposition will be held at the Equiplex on the grounds of Spruce Meadows. The new facility is close to twice the size and comes complete with FREE parking. The exposition has undergone an overhaul and will look completely different with new features and sections and of course the new venue.

Show dates: January 25th to 27th, 2008

Show website: www.flyfishingevents.com

There is of course a lot more information to announce over the next few months (guest speakers, presentation schedule, exhibitor list, etc). We will be keeping the show web site current with the new info so be sure to check in from time to time over the next few months and leading up to the show. We look forward to seeing you in our new digs. Make sure to spread the word about the move!

All the best!

Chris Bird

Fly Fusion / Fly Fishing Events

www.flyfusionmag.com / www.flyfishingevents.com

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest bigbadbrent

Wicked, might actually make this one, makes the drive 15 minutes instead of the gongshow we call downtown

Now I won't have to face that CF they call Deerfoot and Memorial. Spruce Meadows is a helluva easier to get to for us south country boys. Good to see the changes. :)

It's not like I don't hit that intersection on the way into and from work each day either. Duh. It truly is the biggest CF I've ever seen in my life. Except for Deerfoot and Bow Bottom/Anderson. Ick. I need a traffic rant thread now. Time to go write something on my Facebook.

Is there a place to have some beverages and maybe shoot the $hit with Flyfishcalgary/Flyangler.ca folks??

To celebrate the new digs Fly Fusion will be throwing an industry party. Still working out the details, but I am sure we can arrange for something for the Flyfishcalgary/Flyangler.ca members.

Will keep you posted.

c:

Discount would be nice for those of us that drive three hours each way to and from the show and often also stay overnight in Calgary accommodation. I thought this show was for Western Canada not specifically Calgary! Woop-Dee-Woo Some Calgary folk have to spend a little time in traffic. Sorry about the reaction-I better increase my Meds :) . The new Digs sound good. Well done Chris.

Chris,if y'all are having your exposition at Spruce Meadows, you should have it during spring/summer; that way, we could test drive

all the new gear in the trout pond. Poor fishies wouldn't stand a chance! LOL!

Chris,if y'all are having your exposition at Spruce Meadows, you should have it during spring/summer; that way, we could test drive

all the new gear in the trout pond. Poor fishies wouldn't stand a chance! LOL!

Spruce Meadows does have a really nice pond and I'm sure it will be frozen come the end of January. I know that it doesn't replace the outdoor pond but we do have plans for a 20' x 30' indoor pond complete with trout, etc. in addition to the casting pond. We are also bringing back the minnow races which we haven't had room for for a few years. Make sure to bring the kids down for that!

Cheers!

c:

Spruce Meadows does have a really nice pond and I'm sure it will be frozen come the end of January. I know that it doesn't replace the outdoor pond but we do have plans for a 20' x 30' indoor pond complete with trout, etc. in addition to the casting pond. We are also bringing back the minnow races which we haven't had room for for a few years. Make sure to bring the kids down for that!

Cheers!

c:

We can also bring an auger, I guess. One of the maintenance guys told me this story about last winter at Spruce Meadows:they had cleared

off a skating rink on the pond, only to come in one morning to find a hole augered smack-dab in the middle of it. I reckon the guy didn't

want the hassle of clearing snow away from his hole! Probably the same guy who was duck hunting in Inglewood bird sanctuary a few years

ago. What part of Newfoundland do you think he's from? LOL

One of the presenters mentioned a venue in the US where they built a trout stream for the expo...... any chance of that? I am sure the answer is no but I figured I'd ask. Other then that this sounds like a great expo especially the trout pond with trout! Thanks for coming on and giving us the info

The trout pond sounds cool. I can't wait to see the new venue. :)

As for the outdoor pond, remember it is Calgary, and we could alway get hit with one of the chinooks that gives us the +20 in January.... We just chainsaw out some ice, enough to cast into anyhow....

post-1-1183063396.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to update you on the 08 Expo. We have just confirmed that fly fishing legend Jim Teeny will be attending the 2008 exposition. Jim is a great addition to the presenter line-up and we are looking forward to having him in Calgary for the weekend. See below for his bio. We will be posting his prtesentation topics on the show's site in the next few weeks.

Cheers!

Chris

JIM TEENY BIOGRAPHY

When the words Fly Fishing Innovator come up in conversation, one of the first names that should come to mind is that of Jim Teeny. First there was the Teeny Nymph, which he designed at age 16 for large, cruising trout at Oregon’s East Lake. Little did he realize then, as junior in High School, how this simple fly pattern would impact his future. As he experienced growing successes with his Teeny Nymph fly pattern, Jim began to experiment with different color variations of the fly and was able to have increasing success even on other species of fish. After keeping the fly a secret for 9 years, Jim started the Teeny Nymph Company in July of 1971. This was the start-up of what is now Jim Teeny, Inc., the business which Jim and his wife, Donna, now run from their HQ’s in Gresham, Oregon.

Innovation was to become a habit with Jim. He conceived of an idea for sinking fly lines which resulted in his T-Series sinking tip fly lines, a concept what was welcomed all across the fly fishing community, from Steelhead fly fisherman to deep water off-shore Salt water fisherman. Jim has, subsequently, designed a full line of specialty fly lines that range from full floating lines to deep sinking salt water lines.

Jim has appeared on many television shows teaching and sharing his innovations and techniques with interested fly fishers from all across our land and other countries. He has authored articles in major fishing publications and been featured in articles by other authors as well. Jim’s new book, Fly Fishing Great Waters, documents the fly fishing adventures of his life with a focus on some of his favorite fly fishing spots in the world. Full of great photography, this hard bound coffee table book is hard to put down. In 1988, Jim was featured in an award winning video (now on DVD), Catching More Steelhead, produced by Scientific Anglers.

As a member of the TFO Advisory/Pro Staff, Jim’s innovative contributions have continued with his designing of the Jim Teeny Series of fly rods. The Teeny Series of rods are smooth casting fly rods built with a powerful butt section for lifting strong, heavy fish and powering up distance casts. Jim’s knowledge, experience and passion for the sport of fly fishing have helped and will help tremendously as the folks at TFO seek to honor their commitment to build affordably priced, high performance fly rods.