Fly Fusion Forums

Moose With Ticks

Have a young moose hanging around my place. Has a lot of blond patches all over it. It is also acting very crazy -running and kicking, rolling all over willow bushes. I am going to start to scare it away from the house area with some shot gun bangers. My question is -can moose recover from a serious tick attack or is it on death row? I have being trying to contact wildlife and keep leaving messages.

Thanks.

Give the Alberta SPCA a call and get some advice from them.

http://www.albertaspca.org/SPCAlist.asp

Depending on the severity of the ticks he may be alright. The accepted stats on limits for ticks and moose is around 50,000 units. He/she may be suffering from other illnesses related to the transmission from ticks or just trying to get the buggers off. The season for ticks should be starting to slow down so if the moose is this far along he/she should be able to make it through the remainder of the season. As sad as it may be (and as much as I absolutely detest ticks) it is part of nature and ticks have just as much right to thrive as anything else does.