Fly Fusion Forums

Nymphing The Crow

bigalcal

I am planning on heading to the Crow next Sunday (May 13) for a few days. I am not much of a "nympher" but I want to improve on that technique. Any suggestions on rigs and flies. I know you guys can give me some good advice.

Also do you know if there will be wood available at Lundbreck Falls Campground?

I am planning on heading to the Crow next Sunday (May 13) for a few days. I am not much of a "nympher" but I want to improve on that technique. Any suggestions on rigs and flies. I know you guys can give me some good advice.

Also do you know if there will be wood available at Lundbreck Falls Campground?

Hi, I googled (wood available at Lundbreck Falls Campground ) Says yes. Firewood Sales available – check for posted times at each wood yard.

Have fun.

I'd suggest a small rig similar to a hopper dropper rig.. small indie or maybe even a big hopper or stone, might even get lucky if there are some sqwalas around and get one on the floater.. as for patterns small swj, caddis larve, and beadhead olives should get ya into some fish. try tight to the banks in the deeper runs and don;t overlook fish that maybe in the shallower water sunin ..

Hey,

Just a quick note. Fished the crow today and it was tough fishin to say the least. The water is up a bit but only had about 16" visability at best and 8" at worst. I was there 2 weeks ago and the fishing was amazing but today only had 1 to hand and a few others on the line. All fish were close to shore. I was using hairs ear and pheasant tail and bouncing it off the bottom. Found some really big golden stones under the rocks but fish were not taking. I should also note I am no expert on the crow (or elsewhere) as I have only been there twice...so take my advice with a grain of salt! Good Luck

Hey,

Just a quick note. Fished the crow today and it was tough fishin to say the least. The water is up a bit but only had about 16" visability at best and 8" at worst. I was there 2 weeks ago and the fishing was amazing but today only had 1 to hand and a few others on the line. All fish were close to shore. I was using hairs ear and pheasant tail and bouncing it off the bottom. Found some really big golden stones under the rocks but fish were not taking. I should also note I am no expert on the crow (or elsewhere) as I have only been there twice...so take my advice with a grain of salt! Good Luck

Hi, Thanks for this info, I'm going to be up at the Crow for a week, I'll try my goodies, hairs ear and pheasant tail. I hope I do ok.

Right now personally I would put either a nice big fat Golden Stone or San Juan as my top fly and then dangle either a Copper John, Eevil weevil, Hares Ear, Pheasant teil, etc as the bottom fly. Add weight as necessary to get it to the bottom and you should find yourself some success.

I fished the crow yesterday, and landed some energetic rainbows, a few white fish, and ldr'd a bunch of others. The rig that worked best for me was a 9' straight fluorocarbon leader to a BAW and a dropper of a flashback pheasant tail, or a copper john. Look for a foam line, work a nice slow drift through it and on the sides of it, and you'll be rewarded with some of the prettiest rainbows you'll find anywhere.

It was also good to meet a few of the guys from the board on the Crow and the Oldman, hope you guys all did well on a freakishly non-windy day in the pass.

Guest guito

Hello

Yes there is firewood available at the lunbreck camp ground. The camp ground host sells it for $10 for a wheel barrow full or atleast they did two weeks ago.

I really like fishing nymphs or swinging streamers on the crow when the water is off color. I find that SJW's, Large stoneflies nymphs and black crystal buggers are my flies of choice. I find the key is to make sure your flies are reaching the bottom. Have a great time!!!!

Guito

I might suggest...Get down in a hurry...Not so much you are hanging up...And small patterns seem to work well in the spring...Maybe a Sally stone bead head to get down...Followed by a small nymph or two...(size 14-18, Ice weavils, Midge, Hares ears, Prince,...And so on, And if the fish are onto the larger SJW...You will have a hoot) and possibly some small split if needed...Hit the head waters of the larger pools, and you should get into some fish...Rip some streamers as well, if need be...The tail outs should be good to...Spring fishing on the Crow can be at it's best....Thats just some of the things that have worked well for me in the past...When the Vis is good...

Cheers...Jeff..C&R...

Right now personally I would put either a nice big fat Golden Stone or San Juan as my top fly and then dangle either a Copper John, Eevil weevil, Hares Ear, Pheasant teil, etc as the bottom fly. Add weight as necessary to get it to the bottom and you should find yourself some success.

fished friday the 2nd. six fish landed and 6 lost ( in approx 3 1/2) hours fishing all on size 8 woven golden stone pattern. tried some others but got into it fairly quickly with the stones and saw no reason to switch. this is always the fly I use as my large,weighted fly (some guys like to use to the old standby san juan) and usually try other patterns beneath it. copper johns also produce years round and some days all you need is bead head princes. Ive never had to get really fancy on that river when nymphing. Start with a size 8 bead head golden stone about 6 feet down from the indicator,a size 16 prince 18 inches underneath, and perhaps a size 18 copper john under that if you have no wind and can toss a three fly rig ( i opersonally dont like fishing more than 2 nymphs at a time). One of those will produce fish. If not keep the stone and change your droppers.

ps. Ive never really had much success with the worm on the crow. Likley its because i dont pull it out unless the stones are not working but its never produced for me like it does on the bow

I Like your signature line here

"B.C. = Bring Cash"

How true!