Fly Fusion Forums

Classroom Tying Session

Hey guys,

I know this a weird request and all but I was wondering if there was an experienced tyer on the board that would want to visit my class to do a little demo of...wait for it....fly tying! I work in a very small school for junior high student with severe behaviour disorders and we try to provide experiences for our students that they may not normally get to have. Myself and another teacher plan on teaching a fly tying/fishing class towards the end of the school year for a small group but are pretty much complete beginners ourselves. While we can teach the basics, we have no hope of showing anything really cool to our students! So, I was hoping that someone might be willing to come in on June 3 for about an hour (we could make it more) from 1:30-2:30pm and show off some mad skills. I still have to check into security clearances and all that but I can't see there really being an issue. Let me know if you are interested!

Thanks for thinking about this!

-Brian

PS My school is in Parkdale, so fairly central...

i think it would be key to have a few younger guys go in...

max or brent would be great in my mind.

and brian this a great idea! fishing keeps kids out of trouble and busy.

i have avoided many bad situations because i was sleeping to go fishing early in the morning.

good on you for doing this!

Good idea. Would love to help, but I teach out here in Sundre. I have done a similar thing with some junior high kids. They love the dead animal parts like a hare's mask and the cool names like woolly "bugger" and "Bitch" creek. Check with some of the shops. When I was doing my program Peter Smallman (Westwinds now) donated some materials and cheap vices as long as I promised to use the stuff for kids. Some of the guys at the shops like Fish Tales might also be interested in coming out to your class.

I plan to retire soon. Doing demos at schools might be something I could travel around and do to occupy my winters.

Good luck.

Thanks for the ideas on people, guys...I'll get a hold of those two soon and see if they are interested!

Unless, of course Max, Brent or someone else interested is reading this and gets inspired to contact me.... ;)

-Brian