Fly Fusion Forums

Cypress Hills

Gang,

A buddy of mine wants me to head to Cypress Hills with him for the May long weekend, as we've been trying to plan a running weekend (no jokes please) and since neither of us have been to that part of the province, it might be a good spot for some early season training... I've read "a little" bit of info regarding fishing within the area, but can't find any specifics (not looking for any secret holes, etc., but looking at fairly detailed info on possibly some fishing spots, access, etc.). Fishing Alberta did a spot on the area a few years back, but I think they had access to a private lake... From what I've found, the three lakes in the park are Elkwater Lake (Pickerel, whities and pike), Spruce Coulee Reservoir and Reesor Lake (trout?). Also, won't be floating any of the lakes, but what about shore access?! What about any fishable streams/rivers?! I know I found a photo of one on this site... But it was just a photo, with no other info attached... We will be staying with the park...

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks in advance...

Peter

If you stay right in elkwater you are about the same distance from reesor as you are b.h. And B.H. would be much more rewarding. If you stay at reesor or spruce...we as you can fugure you would already be there. Spruce has brookies in it. Beautiful little lake, but hard to catch fish and verry limited shore fishing. Reesor is a little easier to fish, you can access the whole one side of the lake, be prepared to catch stocker size rainbows and some suckers. Never fished Elkwater lake so i have no opinion on that.

Gang,

A buddy of mine wants me to head to Cypress Hills with him for the May long weekend, as we've been trying to plan a running weekend (no jokes please) and since neither of us have been to that part of the province, it might be a good spot for some early season training... I've read "a little" bit of info regarding fishing within the area, but can't find any specifics (not looking for any secret holes, etc., but looking at fairly detailed info on possibly some fishing spots, access, etc.). Fishing Alberta did a spot on the area a few years back, but I think they had access to a private lake... From what I've found, the three lakes in the park are Elkwater Lake (Pickerel, whities and pike), Spruce Coulee Reservoir and Reesor Lake (trout?). Also, won't be floating any of the lakes, but what about shore access?! What about any fishable streams/rivers?! I know I found a photo of one on this site... But it was just a photo, with no other info attached... We will be staying with the park...

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks in advance...

Peter

Bring warm clothing..mother nature traditionally dumps on the hills on the May longweekend :lol: Streams are not open to fishing (Graburn and Battle) until June 1. Elkwater Lake has Pike and Perch but not walleye or whitefish. If you are staying within the park boundaries and want to fish trout you are limiting yourselves to Spruce and Reesor. If you are more interested in running you picked a good spot..the terrain will be challenging and the elevation is about the same as Banff on the plateau.There is a rather large population of cougars in the hills now so you may want to be able to run faster than your partner ;)

Go to BH. Reesor and Spruce and pretty, but the fishing is poor.

Elkwater lake can be a good lake for pike (numbers wise) but the size is really poor...they're all hammer handles that's why there is no size limit there. I've never fished it, but everyone uses gear and heads out in boats there.

It's a great park, but BH is where you want to go.