Fly Fusion Forums

Barbless Hooks

that is a cool idea but har too say wether or not it is goingtoo aid in less penetration(the biggest hate towards barbless) or anything else... might jstu caught hook manufacturers more time and money than anything... good idea tho.

I try and leave a "bump" when piching my barbless hooks. I think it does make a big diff, this is a good idea. It's been out there for a while though, this isn't the first time I've seen a similar hook. Hope they get it up and running tho... so we can buy our flies barbless at the shop. ;)

For just a little background, that video and invention took place in 1995, and yes you were right , all the mfg`s would have to revamp all of their production equipment to produce this style of hook. He owns the patent for this product, but it has never been mass produced.

He refers to it as a sharkfin hook and comes out like a completely barbless hook.

A few people mentioned that they create the same thing with their vises when clamping the barbs on their own hooks. Can some one please exlpain how you do it? If you don't crush it down all the say it leaves a little rise on the hook, but I don't get the kind of bump that was shown in that picture.