Fly Fusion Forums

Birds And More Birds

reevesr1

Guys,

I was driving past the river near Policeman's yesterday afternoon around 4:30 and there were a bunch of seagulls sitting on the water in the middle of the river eating bugs. Also there were hundreds of little birds (I think that is the official name for them) picking up bugs as well. This was over several hundred yards (meters for you canadians) of river.

Will seagulls eat something as small as a midge or do you think it was something else?

u got it rick jsut like the baitballs in the ocean the gulls are a great indication of finding the thickest hatches on teh river.. some days floating u could hear hte gulls and i would be getting the dries ready for my clients...... can be a "shitty" event in some aspects but yea they will be gobblin up teh bugs big or small.....

There actually called "terns" they have red beaks, they look a lot like a seagull though. And yes, with the arrival of them you can be sure the BWO hatches are gonna start to get pretty good. It's kinda hard to fish a strecth with the birds on it, but if you can find some fishy water they've left alone, and there is a good hatch on, you can usually find a few trout sticking there noses up.

There actually called "terns" they have red beaks, they look a lot like a seagull though. And yes, with the arrival of them you can be sure the BWO hatches are gonna start to get pretty good. It's kinda hard to fish a strecth with the birds on it, but if you can find some fishy water they've left alone, and there is a good hatch on, you can usually find a few trout sticking there noses up.

Hawg,

Been *hit on by enough seagulls to know one when I see one! I'm an ex-shrimper, remember? Definitely not terns I saw. We used to call terns "liar birds" back home because they flock much like seagulls (seagulls flock over feeding gamefish quite often back home) but were rarely over gamefish. I can spot the difference between a flock of terns and a flock of seagulls hundreds of yards away. Saves a lot of boat gas chasing the wrong birds! These were seagulls sitting on the water and some smaller birds (small and dark) flitting about.

i know we have black capped terns as well as black terns and those gulls are ring billed and if they have a little red on their bills they would be california gulls. @ inglewood you can often see many varieties of gulls on the gravel bars in the middle of the river. bonaparte gulls and franklins gulls etc....

M

Terns also tend to hover over their prey much more efficiently than gulls, and I don't think I have ever seen terns eating while sitting on the water, though maybe they do in freshwater.

And I was more a Thompson Twins and The Fixx guy myself. Found Flock of Seagulls a bit mundane. ;)

God, the 80s sucked!

OK, so now you are scaring me.

I could stick with the New Wave bands with hot lead singers theme and go with Til Tuesday or Missing Persons to counter your seeming fascination with effeminate bands. (Berlin-Terri Nunn, Til Tuesday-Aimee Mann, and Missing Persons-ex Playmate Dale Bozzio, all appeal to heterosexual males, unlike The Bronski Beat or Spandau Ballet)

But I decided I needed a true purge. I could have gone with Dead Kennedy's or Black Flag, but both are really more 70s, and I was really never angry enough to get punk. I could admit a fondness for Def Leppard (a bit effeminate as well), Judas Priest (let's not go down that path), or Billy Idol, but all of these just further confirm my contention that 80s music, well, sucked.

I could plug some Metallica, but again, I was never really into it. Never seemed to compare to 70s rock to me. Guns and Roses was great, but more late 80s, so doesn't really fit.

So back to bands with girl singers. Not as hot (though I did date a pretty cute girl that looked like Joan, but a little softer), but DEFINITELY anti-Bronski Boys. "I Love Rock and Roll"

By the way, I think "Flock of Seagulls" once opened for Joan Jett on her "Surreal" tour. So this does tie in to the original topic of this post.

HAHAHA come on Rick the 80's was so all over the place that you had to love it.

My music is all over the board my fav's are The Hip, Def Lep and VH but you can place a lot of other 80's crap in there and maybe the odd country tune but I do lean more towards the harder music and today my Monster's of Rock tickets arrived in the mail so Ozzy and JP will be kicking some ass and I will be loving it. Oh and my Iron Maiden tickets are bought and payed for :D

So bottom line is I love all kinds of music cuz I was born in the 70's and grew up in the 80's but what was the first post about? Oh ya Birds so I will end it off with one of the fittest birds from the 80's

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T1YCxYa2Mp0&...feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy3fJ8Nmzyw&...feature=related

Sorry don't forget the Runaways with Joan and Ford

Nice. Any excuse to look at Ms. Ford (though Joan owns her talent wise). I actually considered going with the Runaway's instead of Joan solo in my last reply, but knew you would point out it was 70s. It's funny that you actually hit the only Lita Ford song (Close My Eyes Forever) I really liked, and maybe my fave Ozzy tune as well.

I actually loved the 80s. I was 20 in 1980, so its really the music I grew up with, or at least got drunk with. I listened to Men Without Hats for goodness sake. Hell, I've probably been on a dance floor when Dexie's Midnight Runners were playing. TooooRaaa LuuuRaaa LuuuRaaa LuuuRaaa Yeaaayyyyy!!

I bet a seagull, or is it a tern, could nest in the lead singers hair!!

Click here if the movie does not play.

Good night now!!

If you hadn't declared an end to this thread, which I am sure is amusing no one but yourself and I, I would have countered Belinda Carlilse with Suzannah "Let's make some noise" Hoffs (WAY hotter). But since this is over, I won't.

Ok I will end this with the hottest 80's chick then this needs to end :blink: WOW this had to be the most sad and lame Hijack in the history of the Wide World Web :lol:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XDcC9bnRciQ&...feature=related

HMMM... BBT's "hottest 80's chick"....

For some reason, I was kinda expecting it to be Divine. :blink:

Remember him/her?