Fly Fusion Forums

Bullshead April 13

Saw some pictures yesterday with ice still to most edges, but a few spots had about 3 feet of open water. Got bored this morning so decided to take a drive out, and packed my gear just in case.

High hit 23 out there today and wind picked up to around 30 km/h. When I arrived, there was a couple fishing off the boat launch where there was 10' of open water. A couple of other spots had about the same amount of open water. Guy at the launch said he landed a couple so thought, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. Found a spot with about 10' of open water and didn't see a fish or get a hit for the first hour...saw a spin fisherman catch one though, so I still had hope. Tweaked the rig a bit (but wouldn't change the fly ;)) and then the ice really started to open up in front of me. After that, it just turned on. No fish over 20', and most were around 16' (largest was a bright 19' female). Most were bright and clean, and all were healthy,

FAT and full of spunk...great to see.

Not many people out catching fish...but I think that will soon be changing. By the time I left, there was a lot more open water, and I didn't' even need to cast out to the ice anymore.

Fish aren't on the spawn yet...no cruisers, eggs or milt...just clean and spunky fish.

Another great 'opening day'. Nice timing to get Thurs and Fri off this week.

WhooHoo! I'll probably make a few evenings down there this week.

Thanks for the good news, Bloom.

Now that the BH season has started, maybe someone could bump the thread about Terry's request for data on first-years.