Fly Fusion Forums

Ever Bust A Rod?

Guest bigbadbrent

pfffffft, real men break rods by using them to block dumbell eyes smokin the user :P

I win though, 2 in 2 days...1 section i dunno, the other..read my previous statement

have only ever broken one on a fish (a 5wt on a chum while fishing for cutties on the coast <_< ) have slammed a few in the tailgate, crushed a couple behind the seat in the truck, snapped tips trying to grab an indicator ect.

Being in the custom build/repair business myself I see all types of rod abuse, I have yet to come across a manufacturer's defect although I know they're out there. I warranty all my custom builds for life (mine :) ) and will replace broken sections at my own cost (I try to keep a good selection of blanks on hand), I know not the best way to make a buck but I stand behind my work. At the same time I will also try to correct any actions by the owner that may have resulted in the break. Most common breaks I see are from either hits by bead head flies, ferrule cracks from not ensuring the sections are fit properly, and the dreaded hand above the grip while fighting a big fish.

I've definitely noticed a "disposable" mentality over the last 10 years or so when it comes to rods. a lot of guys don't even blink at the cost to replace a rod especially the mid range TFO's, Sage Launches/Fli's, Reddingtons and the dozen other under $300 rods

This discussion could open up a whole new can of worms when it comes to actual costs to the manufacture to build a rod. I pay retail for the majority of my components but do have some wholesale pricing set-up, even at what some of the manufactures charge for replacement sections they are still making money. IMHO

Cheers

Colin

I have never broken a fly rod either. I honestly have no idea how all you guys say you have broken so many rods and insist they are defective..... unless of course they were likely TFO then I am sure they were

I have never broken a fly rod either. I honestly have no idea how all you guys say you have broken so many rods and insist they are defective..... unless of course they were likely TFO then I am sure they were

Borrowed a 9wt TFO one time, broke it at the butt section 'SNAP' . Never got charged the 25.00 surcharge because they said it was a manufacturer's defect and wasn't the first they had back like that.

Busted 3 good rods in my life, all due to operator error in about 16-18000 hrs of fishin'. Slammed a truck door on a RPL, bounced a spare tire all over a Feralite and exploded an HMG trying to turn a huge pike by grabbing the rod above the first spinnin' guide.

You don't want to know!!....Hardy(more than One) Greys(more than One) Lamiglas(More than One), Sage(More than One), Winston(more than One),Scott(more than One),Powell(more than One), Loomis (more than One),Loop (many),Beulah (One), Snowbee(NONE)..but I am waiting. Broken rods are a common event,rods that are matched with the correct lines and casters rarely break....even on big fish...For the amount of money we pay for rods there should be no manufacturers defect if they follow the correct inspection procedures. Few do because of the numbers of rods now being produced. But a few do !

The life span of Graphite is being discussed...time will tell.

C

I have another question to go along with this one as well. To all of the guys that say they have broken rods (manufacturers defect or not), are you proud that you have? I mean is it actually something to brag about?

broke about 50 million and counting... brent u lose... 3 in one day........ stepped on, casting, hauling, hooksettting, fighting fish, streamers nymphs and evern a dry with my 4wt once, seen em wrapped on teh gunnel of a boat.... even saw one broke with 2 little kids i was teaching when they started too sword fight........... rods break if u use em and/or abuse em..... bin good the past month or two tho..... not totally proud but u gotta pay too play..... pegans are all about the sacrafice ya no.. lmao

Guest bigbadbrent

haha max that's pretty bad

as Gary Loomis said, "I could build a rod that would never break...you just wouldn't want to try casting it"

I have another question to go along with this one as well. To all of the guys that say they have broken rods (manufacturers defect or not), are you proud that you have? I mean is it actually something to brag about?

There is nothing to brag about when you break a rod! all the rods I have broken are 6wt and up(Except a Hardy Angel 5 wt. Smuggler,brand new out of the sock,the tip broke lining it!)..AS MAX Says T..F..Often. what a bunch of Shite.

ALthough in my case it is somewhat unfair to say that I break rods...in many cases I am putting proto types through the drills of reaching performance levels...it wasn't my fault!!??

C