Fly Fusion Forums

If You Had To Choose A Couple Of Places To Fish In The Maritimes

Hi Everyone:

I don't know anything about fishing in the Maritimes. We're hitting all the eastern provinces in this summer's "Ultimate Road Trip". So between PEI, NB, NS, and NFLD, and you could fish a maximum of 3 days total choosing from those 4 provinces, where would you fish?

To let you gauge the season, we're going from July 28 - August 20.

I don't mind hiring a guide for one of the days. Do I care what I catch? Not really, but is there a shot during this time of the year at Atlantic Salmon? Brookies?

Oh, I guess if it was really worth it, I'd consider a day in Quebec.

Thanks in Advance!

Smitty

Miramichi fer sure... public access can be crowded but if you work at it you can find a place or 3.....Renous + Cains are in the same area(ish) (although I'm not sure if they fish well anymore)...the Restigouch is a great river....man I wish I had a late summer to fish in NB....

Well if your in the maritimes then hit the chi, tons of public water. But if your going to newfoundland hit the western peninnsula, river of ponds, the humber, the torrents, portland creek pond ect for some silver

you'll be pressing your luck on the Northern Penninsula that time of the summer, the fish usually run fairly early "up the coast" but the last few seasons kinda been against the norm so who knows .. that time of year should be fairly light pressure though, the Humber will be your best bet on the rock..IMO

Being a Caper I will also mention the Margaree in the Highlands of CB. Beautiful river and has nice runs of salmon. A lot will depend on water levels during your visit. If there is a bit of rain, get out as the fish will move up. Get to a pool early as it is a rotaional thing starting at 6 AM. First through the pool has a good crack at a fish.

Albert Jenkins is a local guide in the area and it should not be difficult to find him through the locals. Funny how I grew up an hour away from Margaree and rarely fished it and now would love this opportunity. Did get there twice in the past 4 years and landed a nice grisle last time out. Hard doing the trip now with 2 little guys and the better half. Next year for me.

Good luck!

Go to PEI and Nova Scotia and Cape Breton for sure.

NB- Guide required for scheduled (Atlantic Salmon) waters, and they aren't cheap. Public waters packed when there is a run.

NFLD - Guide required for all non residents.

I can hook you up with some PEI and Nova Scotia guys. Shoot me a message.

Steve