Fly Fusion Forums

Reel Recos For The Gf

ÜberFly

Gang,

My girlfriend is going to be adopting my 6/7 wt rod and I want to put a new reel on it for her... It is a lower end rod, and she'll be using it "occasionally". I'm thinking of putting a SA Headstart 7 wt line on it and was thinking of a TFO Mayfly reel with a LA cassette (want to keep the reel under $100).

Does anyone have exp with this reel or can recommend another "less expensive" quality reel for her adopted rod?

Cheers!

Peter

Pflueger trion reels on ebay are under $100 even after shipping. Have ordered a few Pflueger president reels for right around a hundred and I am completely satisfied with them. My first reel was a 5wt trion off ebay that I paid $75 for and really liked it. Just upgraded to the president for the larger arbor and the price difference wasn't all that much. With the dollar being so good you can't lose buying on ebay right now. Just my opinion.

Gang,

My girlfriend is going to be adopting my 6/7 wt rod and I want to put a new reel on it for her... It is a lower end rod, and she'll be using it "occasionally". I'm thinking of putting a SA Headstart 7 wt line on it and was thinking of a TFO Mayfly reel with a LA cassette (want to keep the reel under $100).

Does anyone have exp with this reel or can recommend another "less expensive" quality reel for her adopted rod?

Cheers!

Peter

I guess you are really One4adventure...in my books it is not a wise man that hands down a cheap rod and line to his .................girlfriend...adventureous indeed! You might find a reel for under $100 but it will cost you more in the long run> I wonder why us guys are so...f....ing cheap! In my many years of fly fishing I have never seen a happy lady with hand me down stuff! The girls have a much better and different memory for this sort of stuff...it might come back and bite you squarely in the ass!

My thoughts anyway...from experience!

I guess you are really One4adventure...in my books it is not a wise man that hands down a cheap rod and line to his .................girlfriend...adventureous indeed! You might find a reel for under $100 but it will cost you more in the long run> I wonder why us guys are so...f....ing cheap! In my many years of fly fishing I have never seen a happy lady with hand me down stuff! The girls have a much better and different memory for this sort of stuff...it might come back and bite you squarely in the ass!

My thoughts anyway...from experience!

Ha ha!

Thanks island guy! Warning received.

I was given this rod (and reel) for my b-day from my parents (bought it for me at Frenchie's years ago for those that remember), it still catches fish! And when we head out canoeing/rafting, etc. it is all she'll need for learning.

Cheers!

P

I'd like to be the third strike against Okuma. I had one for all of 2 weeks before it fell apart. Took it back to where I got it and they put up a fuss about returning it (I'll not mention the shop unless someone wants to know PM me). I've never shopped there again tho lol ;)

I'd like to be the third strike against Okuma. I had one for all of 2 weeks before it fell apart. Took it back to where I got it and they put up a fuss about returning it (I'll not mention the shop unless someone wants to know PM me). I've never shopped there again tho lol ;)

I'll be ball 4?

Mine has what, 200 days on it since I bought it? Maybe 50 days with the 7/8. Both have been into Saltwater for a week (and as far as I know they are not saltwater reels), dropped, kicked, never been in a case, thrown in the back of a car after every trip.

Never oiled, greased, taken apart, cleaned (other than fresh water on the SW trips). Don't know what else you could want. I am a torture tester for a reel. I treat my gear like crap. I want to fish with it and forget it. So far, so good.

It ain't my Bauer, but it ain't $250.00 either.

If you do decide to step up a bit, I used a Scierra XDP on Wed. I worked it out with about 7 or 8 fish, biggest around 22". Loved the drag and it's a good looking reel. I think they are around $150.

Good luck Pete! Don't let the equipment hounds talk you into a higher end reel! ;)

Saw them at Wholesale in Edmonton for 99.95 or something like that. Don't think it was a sale because I've noticed them like that for a while now. That might be a new stock to match the American pricing...I don't know. Either way, they're a solid reel that will take loads of abuse and keep kicking. I'm hoping to abuse mine today...

\James