Fly Fusion Forums

Saskatchewan

There is a good lake trout fishing north of PA. I spent a lot of time fishing Whelan Bay, Little Bear and East Trout lake when I was younger. There is also good Eyes and Pike fishing in areas like LaRonge. Mostly lake fishing from what I can remember but then I was strictly bait and metal chucking then.

We are trying to get back to Whelan Bay this summer for old times sake. Monster lakers in there!

Here is a link to a website for a flyfishing club in Prince Albert. My dad belongs to it. Great bunch of guys with good knowledge of where to fish in the area. Look through the photo gallery and you can see there is some very nice fish to be caught. Mostly stillwater fishing. There are a few creeks north east of Prince Albert that have Brook Trout. Can be good fishing but creeks are small with lots of trees and shrubs along the banks. I have caught a few small ones but have also not spent much time there. I know people that have hiked and worked for some bigger ones. They are usually in the beaver dam areas. I go back every spring for about a week and hit a bunch of lakes with my dad. Very few fisherman. Usually have the whole lake to yourself. There are a few lakes with short hikes that you carry a belly boat into that can be real productive. I have caught brookies, rainbows, splake, tiger trout and walleye on the fly all in the same day. Tons of lakes, great stocking program and very little fishing pressure. Definatley a great place to go for stillwater fishing. Notice in the photo galleries that they do come out to the mountains on a trip once a year to the Crowsnest area for something different. If you do some searching you can find a lot of info on stocking reports and depth maps for all of Saskatchewan.

http://www.nwf.ca/photogallery.htm

What's out there for fishing? Broad brush approach. Think Prince Albert area. Trout? Pike? Eyes? Mostly rivers? Lakes? Let's hear it.

Tako

I ould look into the Narrows Hills Provincial Park. About 2hrs north east of P.A. Over 50 plus stocked lakes and rivers. Everything from lakers, tigers, splake, browns.

Central and northern SK, as others have mentioned, has a ton of slough sharks. Take your #8 with a wire leader and fly fish for the beasts. Just watch as that shadow closes in on your fly, sizing it up as easy pickings. Good Times!