Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A New 3 Wt

I'm looking at getting a 2 or 3 wt rod for the small streams, Livingston, Oldman, Dogpound, etc as well as some mountain lakes. The smallest rod I have now is a 5 wt so I'm looking at something smaller. What are everyone's thoughts - is a 2 wt too small? Is there much of a difference? I was originally thinking 3 wt and have test drove a few - G-Loomis Whisper Creek, Sage SLT, & Sage TXL. It was kind of breezy that day so it was hard to tell, but I liked the 7'10" TXL the most, way more than the 7'0" TXL, but I'm not sure I want a fast rod. And I'm not crazy about the TXL being a 3 piece as I will be wanting to throw it in the pack for some hiking. I'd like to try the Scott G2. Does anyone have any experience with the Scott G2? Everything I've read sounds good but I'm not too sure about the cork reel seat. I'd be worried about the reel falling off. Is this an issue? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest bigbadbrent

Scott G2s are absolutely gorgeous, i've played with a bunch..if i was out to buy a 3 weight at the moment, it would be a G2. Not all of the G2's have the cork reel seat either.

the TXL's are probably my favourite sage for that weight, and is completely comparable to the G2.

Definitly a try out on a lawn somewhere decision

I think you'd want a 3 over a 2, just due to the wind we get. A 2 weight will be nothing but a complete hassle if it has anything more then a slight breeze...mountain lakes aren't exactly known for their lack of wind (same with the oldman and livingstone!)

Check out the Loop Opti Creek rods. I recently bought a 5 wt Opti Stream and it has quickly become my favourite rod. With the matching Opti line it does a pretty good job cutting through wind. Contact Brian at Whistler Fly Fishing for more info about them.

I use a 2 wt on all those waters and it works fine...there are better rods for casting in the wind, but the 2 manages.

For your case though I would go with the 3 wt, just because it's great to jump 2 line sizes each time (ie. your other rod is a 5 wt, so go for the 3 wt).

I've got a realy sweet little 6'9 3 pce 3 wt from Diamondback - not a popular brand the only thing under 7'6"" at tht time and really wanted shorter. Very nice -will cast the entire line and good at short distances too.

I fish a 8' #2 T&T Horizon on all the rivers you mentioned. A #3 is a better choice for the lakes because of the potential requirement for long casts with side wind.

You should think about building (assembling :)) a rod in that line class. It's a fun and easy project and I think it's a lot of fun fishing a small light rod that you've built yourself. You can put really light wire singlefoots on it and it'll cast like a dream.

Hey Red, I've got a 5wt G2 and it's currently my favorite rod. Before I got one I loved how it cast but wasn't impressed by the cosmetics so I had a friend assemble a 4 piece for me with some upgraded components.

For a 3wt my go to rod for small streams is a Sage VPS Light 7 1/2 foot, it's great for those small streams where bushwacking, overhanging trees and shrub, and light presentation are the norm. I've also used it for hike in lakes for Cutthroat. Sage doesn't make it anymore but I'm sure they have an equivalent or improved substitute.

Thanks for the replies, 3 wt it is. I'll have to cast a few more rods & see what I like best, but I like what I'm hearing about the G2. And from what I've read on the 'net, the cork reel seat shouldn't be a problem, plus I think they're kind of cool. I've thought about building one as I think it would be pretty fun, but I think I'll wait and maybe build a 4 wt or 2 wt next winter. So many options, so little time.

H2O - do you have pics of your custom G2?

Sure thing, take a look HERE, top pic. Unfortunately you can't see the single foot agate guide.

Wow, great site. I just spent an hour looking through it and have decided I need to get to more places. That salmon trip looks unreal. And great story about the Bitterroot float.

2 or 3 wt T&T Horizons are the ticket. Tough to get a better rod if you like the action which is fast. In the waters you are talking about you may want a 3 weight to deal with the wind but it is really a personal choice. Go out and cast a pile of rods and get the one that feels best for you. A 2 or 3 wt isn't too small for the areas you are planning on fishing. Good luck

we are going to have a new Snowbee Diamond series 3 wt. at the Spey week end..they have 2 lengths,an 8' and a 7'...we have both with us but One is going to the Yukon..

welcome to play with it and I have a line for it..

C

You should think about building (assembling :)) a rod in that line class. It's a fun and easy project and I think it's a lot of fun fishing a small light rod that you've built yourself. You can put really light wire singlefoots on it and it'll cast like a dream.

I agree. I built a 2 wt and am very happy with it. Not a difficult project with a bit of research ahead of time. I may never buy a fly rod again. ;)